Bimini center posts “popping” out during up/downs.

Bigmike

Reaction score
I have a couple of bridges in my area that require dropping the bimini. I have had two occasions in a light breeze that the center posts popped out. Definitely not easy getting them back in while on the water. Everything seems tight and secure. Any thoughts are appreciated.BB4A27DA-28E2-473C-BAE5-C7651BA9422D.jpegAC403385-049D-4955-9929-9030F73B0E83.jpegE3B2E8FC-6029-4411-B26F-BF7341DEF515.jpeg

Pretty sure that the screw is suppose to go through the black pice to keep it held in

That would make sense. The boat came like this from the dealer. The current setup is that the pin sits in the groove shown in the pic. I'm not sure how the black part would sit if the pin went through the curved hole. I'm trying to find more info. I will take a look today.

The pin goes through the point where the arrow shows it’s the pivot point. It should really only come out if you were to rotate the Bimini forward and you lift up on that piece when installed. It goes down over the pin then you rotate the Bimini back and it should hold it in.

Attachments

• 9D266851-E37A-4295-9492-04CE5B7376DA.jpeg
    9D266851-E37A-4295-9492-04CE5B7376DA.jpeg
    64.5 KB · Views: 12
The pin goes through the point where the arrow shows it’s the pivot point. It should really only come out if you were to rotate the Bimini forward and you lift up on that piece when installed. It goes down over the pin then you rotate the Bimini back and it should hold it in.
Yes that is the way it is. I think the breeze hit us just right and moved it forward/up and off the pin. I have to focus on not letting it get to the escape angle when putting it up and down. Thanks for the photo confirmation.

Are you dropping the Bimini to the rear or forward? If dropping to the rear it should not come out by design … if dropping forward it will.

Are you dropping the Bimini to the rear or forward? If dropping to the rear it should not come out by design … if dropping forward it will.
Dropping it to the back. The breeze on those occasions probably pushed it slightly forward to the popout angle. Thanks again for the response.

What year boat? There’s no way they should pop out with dropping to rear and they’ve rotated as designed. When rotating the lower part actually moves farther forward engaging the pin. The bracket may have too much slop or it was just a freak occurrence. One possible fix is drill holes slightly behind the pivot point and install a spring pin. This would prevent rearward movement if the plastic bracket.

Its a 2021. Those are good ideas. Have had no problems since. I'll repost if anything changes, thanks!

Back