Bimini Cleaning & Protection

G

Geewest

So our boat is 5 months old and our black bimini looked like it could do with a light cleaning. We keep it rolled up when not in use but still I can tell it's not quite as black as when we first got it.

I took the bimini off the boat. Cleaned off the driveway. Layed the bimini out. Mixed up a bucket of warm water and laundry soap. I used a soft scrub brush and scrubbed the bimini. Then I hung the bimini and hosed all the soap out of it and let it dry.

DSC02607.jpg

DSC02608.jpg

DSC02609.jpg

Now comes the part where I want to protect the bimini from sun ect. I use 303 on the Vinyl and was wondering if I could or should use the same 303 on the Bimini.

You would use 303 fabric protector. It's the same product that convertible auto owners use on their tops, and it will last very long if kept clean.

The regular 303 protector goes on vinyl seats and paint--appears to be a silicone type product. You don't want to use it on your bimini.

Thought I would check with the manufacture before proceeding. Tusmac Covers say's that you don't need to put anything on the cover. They say it's coated for UV and has a 5 year warranty for fading ect, So Im glad I did a little research. just saved me $50 in 303 :)

You would use 303 fabric protector. It's the same product that convertible auto owners use on their tops, and it will last very long if kept clean.

The regular 303 protector goes on vinyl seats and paint--appears to be a silicone type product. You don't want to use it on your bimini.
I've used 303 Fabric protector on the playpen cover for the 5 years I've owned my 8 yr old boat and it's still faded. No matter what you do it's still going to fade if left in the sun. My cover is in the sun only 6 months out of the year and it looks like c___! I also use it on our bimini top but it still looks new because it's in the boot most of the time................

Tusmac Covers say's the material called Sure-last will not or should not fade for 5 years. But IMO that's a pretty tall order. The sun hammers EVERYTHING. The more time you can keep your Bimini's out of the sun. Like when your not using them the longer they will last. The play pen is a sacrificial lamb. Your Biminis are up and your boat is in the sun your cover is gonna take the brunt of the Damage. That's why I think it's important to have the tent polls UP even when it's not raining. This way the cover heat dosen't transfer to the vinyl as much and dry out your interior.

Back