Bimini Top up underway

Looney Toon

Reaction score
We've only had our new Bennington out several times and have always run without the Bimini up. We normally put the Bimini up when we anchor. Having the Grandkids on the boat soon and would like to run with the Bimini up. Not wanting to bend the frame so wondering what the safe max speed is.

I run with mine up and no problems thus far. I am also a new Bennington owner, so I'm no expert; but I can't imagine it being a problem. It's sturdiest bimini I have ever had a on a boat.

Ran mine with it up all season it is built for it

Enjoy the shade while crusing

It's a Bennington that is all I can say (ENJOY)

Ron

I have never had a problem running with them up. However, I use a little common sense and slow down when I am in a strong head wind. I think the key also is making sure they are adjusted so they are stretched out good and tight.

We've only had our new Bennington out several times and have always run without the Bimini up. We normally put the Bimini up when we anchor. Having the Grandkids on the boat soon and would like to run with the Bimini up. Not wanting to bend the frame so wondering what the safe max speed is.
According to TB 18mph, look in this topic, second entry

Derrick

We have our bimini up 99% of the time. Take the playpen cover off, bimini goes up. We have run it at all speeds and have never had a problem............Well I've replaced both plastic screw pieces that adjusts the struts in 5 years and the dealer had those..........

No problems having my double bimini up, or back portion up configured as a single, at full throttle (@24 mph GPS) and my double bimini is 10 years old!

I had a 280 lb guy hanging for dear life on the outside of the boat and the front bimini frame member. Long story safe outcome. Cartoon moment.

I have run mine at 25 with both up. The thing is rugged and yes stretch it taut.

Last edited by a moderator:
The biggest factor is when you are cruising with head or crosswinds, the boat will get hard to handle.

I usually cruise around @ 20-23 mph with the top up, and have had the boat up to 40 mph.

With the top down, we got the same top end speed.

Bennington's OEM top is really nice, and the fabric is adjusted to be very tight.

Back