Blue LED light illegal in FL?

bankerii

Reaction score
Was anchored up in the lake watching fireworks on the 4th and had my blue LED lights on. Marine patrol pulled up and told me I had to turn the led's off because external blue lights are reserved for law enforcement in the state of FL. I was told it was illegal to have them on even while anchored.

Anyone ever heard of this? I know your not suppose to have them on while running, but I thought it was OK while anchored.

I call BS on the Marine Patrol.

Nowhere in the State of Florida Boating laws do I read it's illegal to have Blue led lights, what it says is blue FLASHING or ROTATING lights ...... just more overzealous (jealous ??) marine patrol .........

I would politely ask them to state the statute/law that specifically states his concern ......

Last edited by a moderator:
I would have to say that they are not illegal. I am no lawyer but I also read the statute and it says (prohibiting the use of certain blue lights by any person other than an authorized law enforcement officer). Key words Certain Blue Lights. And it says (term “flashing or rotating blue light” includes all forms of lights which display a blue light source or which were designed with the intent of displaying a blue) here I believe they are talking about any blue light that is only flashing or rotating. I do travel to Fort Lauderdale quite a bit and that is the boating capital of the world and when you see all the yachts on the waterways, a lot of them have blue lights for mood lighting that is visible. Hope this helps and remember it is just my interpretation.

I can't speak for Florida, but I hads an experince in Texas last fall. The officer told me that the only 'legal' lights on the boat are for navigation (white in the back, red/green on the front). However, he said that officers recognize the trend of new boats and lights and in most cases, if you are anchored or docked, they likely would not say or do anything. However, he said it is up to the individual officer and the lights they see.

In my case, mine don't flash or rotate.

I would not worry to much about it. Just turn them off when you are underway.

Problem is he had them on SITTING STILL ANCHORED ...... I have no problem with LEO's, but sometimes I think they waste too much energy on stupid stuff like this .... I mean they weren't flashing or anything ........ I still say he was jealous cause your lights were cooler than his !!

Same problem with us... Just got back from Lake Havasu AZ, Anchored and watching fireworks with 100 others and here he comes, right at me. says they are illegal to turn them off, i i left the speakers on, he said all of them.. i even said, what about the interior accent lights i.e.: cup holders. and he said i'll tell you one more time.. turn them all off, Then i said i just bought the boat, and was still learning the switches, and he said, Did that come stock with those lights, of course the answer was yes, and then he stated, what the hell was that boat manufactor thinking... So i am now going to check the laws..

There's always one. I guess he didn't get any..........or he was jealous. B)

Hey..................quit picking on the cops.................they're doing a great job! Hahahahahahahahaahaa love it !!!!!!!

when I hear stories about incompetent boaters hitting stationary boats - I say "The more lights, the better!"

From what I have read and researched ,Blue is reserved for law enforcement .

I as I was 5 m.p.h past the DNR officer on our Lake in Iowa, I asked him if it was ok (it was dusk) he gave me the thumbs up. However, I assume if they are looking to pull you over, the blue lights would give them a reason. Not sure how far I want to push it when I go to LOTO next week. I guess it'll depend on who's driving. If I get DD and he/she is being pissy, I might flip them on without their knowledge to see what happens. (Just kidding that would be cruel...educational and funny, but cruel)

This topics been discussed previous, and I think it's a gray area. Most of the state laws and I believe the USGC state "flashing" blue, while a post in another thread recently says "DISPLAYING, REFLECTING, FLASHING" so S.C. Is more specific. I personally believe its the LEO lack of knowledge of the wording of the law, but at he end of the day, you probably won't win.

I will put my 2 cents in before people start bashing ANY boat company for selling boats with these lights, look at the speedo in your car.

Just because you have it, doesn't always mean you can use it.

As we've read, some LEO's keep on keeping on (for you 70's guys), others like to be professional about it if they stop you, and others, well they just like to puff their chest and prove they are the man ....... :)

Just to be clear, it is an option on the boat. You do not have to buy it. ;)

Funny. I was watching George Provoromas (spelling wrong) saltwater experience show yesterday. After a long day catching swordfish off in the flash keys, she says well make the run in the dark back home and we're turning every light on boat to light the way. But underwater lights, blue interior lights were on, etc. Maybe it was just done for the show? Who knows. Thought it was interesting

Back