Bottom painting

Jimp442

Reaction score
Hey everyone I’m new to club bennington. I have a 2550 tritoon. It will be in brackish water. I will be keeping it on an elevator lift.I don’t want to bottom paint it any thoughts?

Welcome! So tell us more. Your toons are tarnished? You want them to look better than they do ? But not paint? An older Bennington? What is brackish water? Members will jump in with good info.

Welcome! So tell us more. Your toons are tarnished? You want them to look better than they do ? But not paint? An older Bennington? What is brackish water? Members will jump in with good info.
Brackish is basically saltwater.we re on the bay. Our toon is a 2011 but in mint condition. Just wanna know if it s ok not to bottom paint since it will be on a lift and hosed off everytime we lift after being in saltwater.

Brackish is basically saltwater.we re on the bay. Our toon is a 2011 but in mint condition. Just wanna know if it s ok not to bottom paint since it will be on a lift and hosed off everytime we lift after being in saltwater.
I am sure others with saltwater experience will chime in. The only thing I would add, and you may already have it covered and forget to mention it, but adding/using anodes is essential in brackish water and clear salt water uses. Are you using them as well as keeping it on a lift and hosing it off after every use?

Never hears the term Brackish. Thanks. If your wanting them to clean up nice, upper right hand corner search Toon cleaner and Sharkhide. Or wait for salt water members to jump in.

No need for bottom paint on lift. Hose off after each use, hit the lift too. Use a marine lube on lift pulleys once a year. No grease on cables, use a cable lube. I do my cables twice a year but that’s probably overkill. Definitely have the proper anodes put on, ask local maintenance guys what to use.

Yes agree with the other members. Make sure you use zinc or aluminum sacrificial anodes on your boat for brackish water. Don't forget to get a good set of ear muffs to flush your outboard after every use also!

I'm in brackish water, keep it year-round in a slip and no bottom paint. I do get algae growth that needs to be dealt with from time to time. Being on a lift you should be good to go.

If you do end up painting make sure you use a reputable outfit and that preps properly and uses the correct materials, from what I read it's an entirely different process than fiberglass hull.

Back