Box Anchors

Bull

Reaction score
Gents,

Over the years I have accumulated quite a few anchors but never a

box anchor.

I always toss a small one off the back to minimize drift, but my small ( toss-able) fluke

doesn't get it done with a boat with this much surface area.

I am usually in sandy/Mucky conditions.....less than 15 feet of water...Any thoughts on the box anchors...

Just wondering if the small box would get the job done better...

Thanks in advance

Al

The "Slide Box Anchor" is all you need. It is definitely worth the investment, you won't be disappointed. There is an anchor thread I started when looking for an anchor at the beginning of the season, everyone recommended the "Slide Box Anchor" and they were right.

The "Slide Box Anchor" is all you need. It is definitely worth the investment, you won't be disappointed. There is an anchor thread I started when looking for an anchor at the beginning of the season, everyone recommended the "Slide Box Anchor" and they were right.
Did you go with the Small ?

Edit: Just read through the thread....answered my own question

Last edited by a moderator:
We bought a small box anchor when we first bought our Bennington last year but have never used it. After reading the instructions from what I understand you have to drop it and after letting out sufficient rope let the boat swing until the anchor turns over and grabs. Where we anchor there is not enough room with other boats to allow the swing. We have been using a Navy anchor and mostly it's been ok but a few times wished we had the room for the box anchor, especially on windy days.

Try the box anchor, it will surprise you how little rope you need to let out, and how quickly it grabs.

We bought the small box anchor and love it. Use it in about 40 ft of water with 100 ft of anchor line no chain.

Holds great in all conditions, and packs up nice. Works as advertised on their web page.

I bought the small for our 22 footer to use on the Missouri river with sand bottom and it works great, the river has an average current of 3-4 mph then add 10-20 mph wind on top of that and it holds fine. I have a 50 foot anchor rope and I need to let it all out in 10-15 feet of water to get the anchor to grab properly. I used it on the lake with a mud bottom this weekend with a pretty good wind blowing in 20 feet of water and had to let out all 50 feet of line to get it to dig in there too, once dug in it stays tight.

Hi Al!! I had the same questions you have, and the anchor thread is a useful information source. I was concerned with space for storing the anchor, so I asked if anyone used the "baby box". Someone with the big I/O Benny said he uses it 90% of the time, as he has both the baby and the small box. I went with the baby box, and this thing is awesome!! Holds the boat in good wind, and crazy wakeboard boat rollers. Looney Tune is right though, you can't be stingy with the line length with this set up. First time I used it I was in 40' of water and let out about 50' of line, and we drifted. Now I just through the whole 100' of line and it's a rock! I don't fold it up everytime either. I'm going to add another ring that connects the rod to the anchor, so the rod lays flat. {someone mentioned that in the anchor thread}. A little pricey, but well worth it!!

Gents

Appreciate the input.

Pulling the trigger on a Baby and a small box...

I ordered the Baby and the Small

The baby came in yesterday and I used it today....

Got to say that it was nice anchoring in 15 feet of water with only about 30 feet of line.

Worked like a champ on a soft bottom..

Hoping I can get away using this one instead of the small.

We seldom anchor with wind over 10 MPH and never any current...

Use the 3 to 1 rule for every foot down 3 feet out.

The advantage to the box anchor is that it holds with much less angle on the rode and is much easier to release off the bottom.

Back