Buckeye Lake Alternative

buckeyelake

Reaction score
So with the news of the lake remaining at winter pool I am looking for an alternative.  Have always done our boating on Buckeye Lake, like that there are restaurants, bars, etc. and want a fun place to boat (2 kids).  We are in Columbus, OH.

Suggestions???

Buckeyelake

I to have been looking into other lakes due to buckeye lakes problems. There is a couple of nice choices Deercreek state park is one at about 30 min south of columbus. They have a place where you can beach your boat at the beach area and also docks for the lodges resturants. The other one that I have been researching is Seneca lake out by Canbridge Ohio. They seem to have a nice night life and camp grounds. There is also the option of spending the day at Indian Lake with Indianlakeburn. I have been on alum creek and Delaware. They are ok but no resturants or bars.

Indian lake is 50 minutes from Westerville. That's where our summer place is. I like it better than buckeye.

We are 5 minutes from the Africa Road ramps for Alum. Too crowded with weekend warriors with huge power boats and zero boat experience. Add in alcohol and instant dick heads are created.

Last edited by a moderator:
Indian Lake sounds promising in the research that I have done.  Would either one of you be able to recommend rental homes or areas to look at, etc. with boat docks?  We have a home at Buckeye Lake (not going to be used much this year) and would like to be able to have something similar this summer.

The internet has several postings but here is a site: http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/usa/ohio/indian-lake

Take a drive out or drop lake and I your number. I am heading to West Palm Beach for a couple weeks but will be back after Easter in time for spring clean up and Spend A Day will be pulling the boat from Storage

Indianlakebum and I posted the restaurant and bars accessible by water in one of the forums, I will look for it later. It's a sizable as our drinking lake has a boating problem.

The kids love going to McDonalds and Dairy Queen by boat.

Regarding Seneca: it's a Great Lake also. Just smaller and not as shallow. With the tracking proceeds, they have completely rebuilt the camp store/bar and grill and I hear it's very nice. They are supposed to be redoing the sewage lines soon too.

That was our go to lake before finding Indian Lake.

Last edited by a moderator:
Will how are the Rangers on Indian lake about drinking on the boat. Is it one of those keep it cool and in Dixie cups no ones cares kinda lakes.

Here's a copy and paste from my reply about all the places to eat that you can get to via boat on the lake.  If you are into camping they do have camper cabins available at the state park and also boat docks available there as well.....I think there is 25 boat/camper spots and they have a boat ramp right there as well.  I think there are a total of 5 public boat ramps around the lake and if you wanted you can get a boat permit from the dnr to leave your boat docked at one of the several courtesy docks that are available around the lake (lakeview harbor - russells point harbor come to mind).  If you can get a rental house on the water most of the time they have a boat dock available right outside or very closwe by.

My copy and paste reply:

There are quite a few resturants/bars that you can get to via boat on Indian Lake.   If we had a waterfront house with a boat house we would hardly need a car while at the lake. 

We can go to stores to pick up odds and ends:  Rite Aid and Dollar General is less than a block from the boat docks in the harbor.

Places to eat via the boat.....on the water with a dock unless noted:

Micky D's

Taco Bell

The Donut Shop

DQ (across from MD's)

Cassanno's (across the street from MD's)

Indian Head Roadhouse

Jac n Do's (pizza)

Padrones (less than a block walk)

Captians Point (less than a block walk)

El Aztecas (1 block from docks)

Cranberrys Resort

The Moose 

Eagles (across the street from Moose)

Tilton Hilton

Froggy's

Achesons

If you guys do decide to take a drive over to indian lake sometime just to look around or check things out (as Will has already said) do look me up and I'll give you the nickel tour of the place....we are down almost every weekend.   For the most part the DNR are pretty laid back on our lake....unless you are simply being stupid and really asking for it then they will probably board you and check things out.  They have a pretty good presence during the july 4th weekend due to the larger than normal crowd but normal is one boat with 2 officers patrolling the lake.

Will how are the Rangers on Indian lake about drinking on the boat. Is it one of those keep it cool and in Dixie cups no ones cares kinda lakes.
Never had a issue.

Drinking on all State Parks statewide is illegal. With that said, we have 7 direct access bars on the water... Boat safely, don't give them a reason, have safety equipment handy at all times and enjoy.

Back