Cable Adjustment for I/O

MrG

Reaction score
I recently took the boat in for Service and now when I go to shift the boat into forward their is a slight delay (between 5-15 seconds) b4 the boat go's into gear and the props start spinning.

I don't wanna drive 4 hrs back and forth to the dealer to go have this fixed or adjusted and I have been told that it may be a simple cable adjustment.

Anyone have any knowledge of this or how to do it?

My boat is a 2013 2575 QCW with the 5.9 Merc with Bravo 3 outdrive.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: MrG
Are you sure it is a cable adjustment? Seems like if it was loose, it wouldn't go into gear at all. Good luck.

I recently took the boat in for Service and now when I go to shift the boat into forward their is a slight delay (between 5-15 seconds) b4 the boat go's into gear and the props start spinning.

I don't wanna drive 4 hrs back and forth to the dealer to go have this fixed or adjusted and I have been told that it may be a simple cable adjustment.

Anyone have any knowledge of this or how to do it?

My boat is a 2013 2575 QCW with the 5.9 Merc with Bravo 3 outdrive.

Thanks
On my very old one there was a microswitch, called a shift interrupter, that introduces a little delay shifting into neutral, but nothing that long. I had to replace mine because it would actually stall the motor.

See HERE for info on the switch, but it sounds like yours is the opposite problem, perhaps with the cone clutch

You should  be able to find a Yamaha dealer closer than 4 hours away. 

With a boat and engine of that caliper, you really need to have a quality marine mechanic deal with it.  It's a warranty item, so your best bet would be to go onto Yamaha's online dealer locator.

I have a Mercruzer not a Yamaha. It's a V8 with a Bravo 3 I/O. My dealer is 2-hrs 1 way.

I was told that the helm mounted throttle had a cable attached that engaged the outdrive into forward and reverse. I was told that "possablely" the cable could use a adjustment making it tighter and a more positive pull on the mechanism that moves it from forward to reverse

Last edited by a moderator:
Turns out it's a pretty simple adjustment. My dealer called and put me on the phone with a Mechanic he was able to quickly walk me threw adjusting the throw on the Arm that puts the boat in forward or reverse. It was a 1 min fix.

That's great.  You just have to find the guy that has the answers. 

Back