Cleaning plastic seat bases

PattyM

Reaction score
Hi!  I'm new to the forum.  Can anyone give some advice on how to clean orange stains off the plastic seat bases?  Under the arm covers on the front bench seats, the plastic bases are covered with an orange stain on both sides.  Don't want to use anything that will damage them.  See photo.  Thanks in advance for any input! Boat Seat Base Stain.jpg

Hi Patty, welcome to the club!

Start out with your basic household cleaners, awsome, mean green etc. and a majic eraser and see what those do.

That looks like rust stains? You need to find out why this happend, all the hardware should be stainless steel.

Weird thing is if rust it's not on the upholstery. Just on the plastic..... That's odd????

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks like water runoff from wood.  I know the bases are plastic but are the seats and backrests still using wood?

Another guess by the color: Could that be from spraying suntan lotion or bug spray? (I know I've read on here one should be careful about that and the vinyl seats, not sure why but ?) Don't know why it'd be under the seat cushion and on the base though? just a guess at it. Good luck. Hope you find a solution!

Last edited by a moderator:
It's def overspray from something. If you look at ride side where the different angles come together you see the shadow spray lines.

Is it a rough texture like cured spray adhesive? That's what it looks like.

I had a 1990 Glastron SX about 10 years back, and it had under the seat coolers on the back seat.  When I bought the boat, it was in "dirty" shape, including a very similar look to those under seat coolers.  I did use normal household cleaners (409) with a soft scrub pad, and it came pretty clean.  Never really got all the yellowing out of the plastic, but it did not have the spots or darker spots.

My only guess as to what it was some type of mold.  The prior owner didn't cover it well and it had too much water in the rear of the boat even when I saw it the first time (bilge wasn't working).  While mold sounds bad to some, it's also something that can be cleaned up and gotten rid pretty easily....

Just a thought..... 

I agree it's mold. A bleach and water solution (experiment with the ratio) and a brush should clean it right up.

Back