Collapsed Bimini top

Angie1320

Reaction score
We just purchased a brand new Bennington Tritoon with a 250hp in February. Absolutely love the boat but our bimini top completely collapsed on us while heading home. Needles to say my hand got completely smashed! I know I should not have been holding on to the rail but that should have never happened. I feel like if you spend that kind of money on a boat it should already have safe guards to make sure it doesn’t. I shouldn’t have to fix it myself. Has anyone else experienced this?

Attachments

• 71174960783__E773718D-28A3-40AC-A9B3-B4D08B4F9BDA.jpeg
    71174960783__E773718D-28A3-40AC-A9B3-B4D08B4F9BDA.jpeg
    101.7 KB · Views: 36
I had it happen in the first 6 months, popped out of the bracket while at speed (25 ish mph IIRC).

Best advice is to avoid running the recommended speed posted in your user manual or sticker on the bimini. If you're going to take chances many of us modified the bimini to include cable stays or pins to secure it from popping out. It's a giant sail so there is going to be an incredible amount of force pushing on the frame so be sure to ensure it's properly attached/latched and watch your speed.

Sorry to hear what happened! That hand looks incredibly sore. Sorry to hear it!

OOC, which bimini and frame do you have? Normal manual or power/electric? Were you underway and heading home, and if so, how fast? Were you just arriving at home and putting taking it down and it collapses? Did it break or fail in some way?

As Poto mentioned, various versions of the bimini’s supports have cable stays to help secure them, or bracket pins to secure fittings in brackets when under way to better prevent such things from happening.

Hoping that hand heals up soon for you so you can better enjoy what’s left of summer.

Back