Cover vs blue tarp

Tailgate

Reaction score
I had revived an old thread with question about being too lazy to put the cover on at the marina and would a blue tarp work... well, DW and I went through the playpen cover drill this afternoon.  It took us about 30 minutes to install once we got the hang of it.  Hardest part was stretching.  The tip about using chapstick really worked well to lube the snaps. I'm sure we will get better/faster with a little practice.

I'm officially discarding my blue tarp alternative.  I will say that the cover installation is best a 2 person job.  Wife and I usually don't 'play well' when we are doing a task together...normally end up barking at grumbling at each other, but today we were on the same team.   PICS attached...   Bob

photo 3.JPG

photo 2.JPG

photo.JPG

Yeah, a little practice goes a long way, as does folding it properly before stowing it.

You'll get faster at it as time goes by.  ;)

And if you really like your boat, you would never put a blue tarp on it! :unsure:

We can uncover ours neatly (folded side to side/rolled front to rear) in less than 5 minutes and cover in about the same. The only time a blue tarp would go on mine is over the regular cover during the winter with indoor storage, to keep dust off the regular cover.

Just take your time when uncovering and it makes it so much easier covering back up.

Tailgate........just like anything the more you do it the better you and your wife will get at it! Hmmmmmmmmm......

It was a bit overwhelming the first time, but now we have things pretty much down pat...here is our approach:

1) Line up the two bimini brace slots on the Starboard side, you know you have it placed in the right spot to begin.  I usually button the aft side first and my wife starts at the bow.  We work towards each other meeting in the middle of the Starboard side.  We do the Starboard side from inside the boat.

2) I move to the Stern and button the Stern side except for the two on the rear gate.  

3) Continue around the Stern moving to the Port side while the wife does the Bow also moving to the Port side.  We do the Port side from outside the boat.

4) We meet in the middle of the Port side.

5) Now, I climb in through the rear gate and put up the tent poles.  NOTE:  I've not touched the tent poles until everything except the rear gate is snapped.

6) Lastly, there is the strap that goes over the bimini, but I've yet to use that one.  Probably should figure it out at some point.

It's probably taking us about 10 minutes I would guess, working together.  5 minutes to get it off.

Good luck!

-Jason

Back