Crack in fiberglass helm

Less is More

Reaction score
I recently noticed a crack starting on the fiberglass helm on my 2014 RCW.  My dealer states that it is a stress cracked and easily repaired, but it will take a week to complete.  The crack appears to be more than just a stress crack and when you put pressure on one side of the crack the fiberglass actually deflects, which leads me to believe that the helm is actually cracked all the way through.  Has anyone experienced this before?  If so, can this be easily repaired or should the helm be replaced?

I have the elevated helm on a 2014 RCW . I have not seen it on mine .I will look today .What area of the helm is it in ?

It is to the left of the captain's cup holder and is about 10 inches long starting from the rocker switch panel.

Cracked Helm.jpg

Ouch ! 

Do you have the elevated helm ?

Last edited by a moderator:
You should be able to get under to see if it  is all the way through 

Insist on a replacement. Do it in the off season. No sense burning boating time.

I would demand a new one also!  Like Goldnrod said, have them do it when the season is over.  Our season is so short I want to spend every second I can out on the water!  Good luck.

I just finished crawling under the helm and can see two locations that the crack is visible from the underside.  I also noticed that two nuts that hold the helm to the fencing are missing, which might have caused the crack.  I took pictures and sent them to my dealer to see what their professional opinion is with this new data. 

I would want it replaced also 

+2 I would definitly get it replaced. For me, i'd just put a band-aid on it and say my boat has a boo-boo, surgery is slated for October time frame.

I just heard back from my dealer and Bennington is going to replace the helm under warranty.  I guess that's why I purchased a Bennington in the first place . .  ."Quality"  . . . . with strong customer service!

Thanks for everyone's comments.

Regards.

Awesome !!

Back