Drone and boat

That is pretty sweet. One heck of a pilot. Dave..... looking forward to your footage!

Wait for mine this summer !!!! 

Check out my last post in the hobby thread !!  ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Might be less costly to use a helium baloon and a dart. You're bot might not be traveling that fast... :)

Might be less costly to use a helium baloon and a dart. You're bot might not be traveling that fast... :)
My battery will last longer ..... ;-)

That was cool. Now just to the wife to agree on the flying Gopro mount idea.

Got to get the boat out Semp, looking forward to seeing the video you make.

Awesome flying demonstration.  I've got a Phantom (the older version, not the 2) and while they are easy to fly, it is very difficult to maintain the spatial awareness and control that this guy is!  Great control of the camera with little fear of getting wet. 

Pretty cool!

Keep in mind that may people feel that if the drone is within shotgun range, it is fair game!

And they better keep in mind, it's illegal to discharge that gun in public at my drone. I don't buzz people's houses and such, but it's also legal for me to fly over your property as long as I'm not taking photos of you where there is an expectation of privacy. It's funny people think they own the "air" above them. They own it no more than the 200' under there house where the mine is digging coal. ONLY the FAA controls airspace. Sadly there are those in our hobby that are idiots and creating problems. The FAA is actually being somewhat gentle with their intended plan going forward. Sad thing is everything is now a UAV/Drone. Planes, helis, quads, all because of idiots.

Oh yeah, I typically wouldn't fly over someone's property anyhow without permission, cause if I crash on their property, I could be cited for trespassing if I enter without their permission to get my quad back. The risk isn't worth the reward.

The key thing with these as well as other toys is replacement parts. You WILL need props. That's always the first to go. I will tell you, that camera footage was not while they were flying like they were. You need a 3 axis gimbal to keep camera movement controlled. Nothing against these cheaper quads, but like anything, cost typically equals value. My basic unit at $500 has tons of spare parts available. GPS hands off assist, uses standard lips batteries available at almost any hobby shop. It has return to home in case of radio loss. Replaceable bodies, gps module, flight control board, motors, esc's, imu, compass, etc.... The cheaper versions don't have any of this as they usually have a master PCB board. When you crash, you're done. Hopefully you can enjoy it though, BUT, if you do destroy it, research DJI for your next purchase. I have a Phantom 1.1.1, Phantom 2 V2, Phantom 2 Vision+, and the Inspire 1. I'll never take the Inspire on the lake (too expensive) and same with Vision +. The V+ camera alone is $650 to replace. I'll use the V2 with a 3 axis gimbal and SJCAM (Hero clone at 1/4 the price) on the lake. Just in case of water crash, I'm mounting a GETTERBACK rod recovery system. https://www.getterback.com

10 minutes under water and a bobber pops up with 10lb test Kevlar line 100' long to pull it to surface.

Back