Drowning Motor

clrd

Reaction score
Anyone ever have this happen? Factory live well pump and Factory Garmin 100 installed on that side. Happens at about 3500 RPMs, Dealer said it was from transducer so they tied it up and said were not sure what to do to stop this from happening and I should send this video to Bennington . any Ideas

Last edited by a moderator:
That is baffling. Weird how the spray seems to come from a ways back. Is the transducer mounted at the right height? I assume so or your dealer would have just fixed it.

Try to change the angle of your transducer by a couple degrees by putting washers behind the bracket on one side and see what happens.

That's why I took a video, because I knew they wouldn't understand what I was trying to tell them. Yes it is mounted at the right height according to them. I think they tried different adjustments because they took it out on the lake to see what was happening, I think that's why they told me to send the video to Bennington. They said they had never seen it do this before. and also said the water is going right at the motor intake which isn't good

I am going to install another Finder so maybe that will help, but being that this was a factory install I would think that it shouldn't do this.

We have the same boat but I have lifting strakes and a 115 but I noticed mine sprays up in the back like a mother. It is almost obnoxious. If Michigan ever warms up I'll get some video. I don't recall it spraying on the motor though. Interesting

Looking back we don't have the same boat. I saw sslx but yours is not close to my sslx. What the heck is going on there?????

My boat is a Custom Layout 20 SSIX yours is a 22 SSLX. We made ours for cumfy fishing it is similar to a 22 SFFX with some changes and a 20 foot version to pull behind our fifth wheel camper.

Today I removed the Garmin transducer and installed a new Humminbird, I would have taken pics before I changed it but the dealer had it zipped tied out of the way when I got it back, so I just took it off. If the weather ever gets better I will lake test it and see how things work now.. Here are some pics of the current install. The Garmin was installed on the left side,

Update: The spray on my motor was resolved by eliminating the Garmin transducer, as you can see in the post above. I don't believe it was the garmin ducer itself, I believe it was how it was installed.

That's interesting. I have to agree that it was the mounting. I have the Garmin and it is mounted on the inside of the bracket as your new one is and have never had a problem. You wouldn't think that where your first one was mounted (the outside of the bracket) would make that big a difference.

Back