dumb question on battery being charged

thaigler

Reaction score
Will my new Bennington have an alternator similar to a car in which I will not have to worry about charging? I know, I will have to charge my trolling motor battery. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, battery will be charged via the outboard (or Inboard)

What about in the winter?

When you winterize, I expect dealer to make sure everything is up and running before delivering boat in May

If I were to store it here, I think a trickle charger like I use on ride mower would be in order.

Dealer will deliver boat on my trailer and launch into the Lake.

photo.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
They say there is no such thing as a dumb question, now dumb answers on the other hand, I can be a GREAT source of those!! Hehe, as was said, motor has a built in alternator. Keep in mind if an outboard, it's no where near as strong as your car one. But for most, it will easily handle your normal day to day operations. If you are putting in a very large stereo such as some of us, you can cause issues because the standard alternator won't be able to keep up, so an external charger should be used. But for 98% of people, it'll work just fine. 

As for winter, well here in Canada, we usually pull our batteries to keep from freezing. Although they do say keeping a trickle charge on them should prevent that. My batteries cost far too much to chance it, so they sit in the basement. I don't need to charge them at all because of the type of battery they are. They say they can sit on a shelf for two years without needing a charge. I usually do a quick voltage test mid winter to just check on them.

I pull my batteries too. Minnesota - Brrrrrr. The night before I launch, I put a trickle charge on it. My Optima battery is 9 years old.

Back