Ethanol

My mercury manual says avoid ethanol if at all possible. I'm paraphrasing, but that's the gist of it.
I agree with the " avoid "

However since you also have a Mercury ,

I would download and print the information off the Mercury site ,just incase .

Last edited by a moderator:
To clarify some of the comments with regards to using ethanol gas, I understand the need to use stabilizer but do you also need to use "ring free additive" or is that dependent on what octane level you use?

I have a yamaha F150, I have only been using the marine fuel on the lake but I'm getting tired of paying over 5.50 per gallon. I just recently bought some marine grade stabilizer in case I make the switch.
If you have the F150 then I believe your recommended octane is 87, like my 200. So if your 87 octane fuel has ethanol in it, than you should use the yamaha fuel stabilizer and conditioner. If you choose to run a higher octane fuel, such as 91, that has no ethanol in it, then you should run the ring free plus in every tank to help with carbon build up. If for some reason you chose to run a higher octane than recommended (91) that contains ethanol, than you should run both additives I guess, but that would be silly.

Hey Derrick, that brings up a good question. I run my boat up in Ontario. Does Canada have the same ethanol additives as here in the US?

As in do we have ethanol? Or the additives to combat the effects of ethanol? what brand of motor do you have again?

Edit ; wow, I just read my own comment. What an idiot. I'm sure we do.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess it was an ambiguous question! Brands such as Petro Canada, Shell, etc., do they all add the ethanol to their gasoline?

Valvtect makes and distributes an ethanal free gasoline that has all the additives in it already.

I am on Lake of the Ozarks and (6) marinas have this product available.

Ethanal free gas at Marinas is selling for $4.00/ gallon. The Valvtect gasaline sells for $4.50/ gallon.

If you figure what Ring Free and Stabil costs, the up charge of $.50 per gallon upcharge is worth it to me.

Valvtect also makes a variety of additive products if you are using standard ethanal gasoline.

www.valvtect.com

Valvtect makes and distributes an ethanal free gasoline that has all the additives in it already.

I am on Lake of the Ozarks and (6) marinas have this product available.

Ethanal free gas at Marinas is selling for $4.00/ gallon. The Valvtect gasaline sells for $4.50/ gallon.

If you figure what Ring Free and Stabil costs, the up charge of $.50 per gallon upcharge is worth it to me.

Valvtect also makes a variety of additive products if you are using standard ethanal gasoline.

www.valvtect.com
Hey Lefty, I was just thinking if the price of ethanol free is $4, than you don't need to run the stabil and ring free. Unless it's for premium and your manufacturer recommends regular. Plus I think I would feel more comfortable KNOWING that I put it in my tank and that it was the one specifically designed for my motor (Yamaha/Mercury) but that's just me.

Oh, and here's a little something to solve ALL the ethanol problems!!

Gerry should like this.

I have used seafoam for years on my 90 hp 2 stroke johnson.I dont run it for 9 months out of the year.It is on a duck hunting boat that is only used in nov. dec. and jan.It has always started up and runs like new.I also used it in my jet skies this year(not run since august of 2012 till last week) started right up and never missed a beat.I just checked the seafoam website and it states it will stabilize fuel for up to 2 years.

Back