Excess rain water in Ski locker

DMack

Reaction score
This is my first Pontoon with a ski locker/ in tube storage. I have a 2020 22 SXP with SPS and Yamaha 200. My parents own a 2002 RL2285 with a Yamaha 175, no ski locker back then. I park the boat with the standard cover with all four poles installed. After a week of being covered, I have several gallons (depending on rainfall) of water that has to be pumped out. Everything in the compartment is soaked. All the loose items are in plastic bins, so there is standing water on top of those, and the inflatables, noodles, etc. are soaked and smelly. Additionally, anything under the console that's on the floor is soaked.

The boat is parked on a gravel area with a slight right to left lean, and I've been experimenting with having nose up, down, or level. It seems rainwater hits the side of the deck and rolls under the rails and across the floor where it hits the ski locker door and drains in. I've installed a mat to elevate the items under the console off the floor, but I am trying to think of ideas for the ski locker. Its obvious that the Bennington cover's main goal is just to shed most of the water and allow ventilation to keep mildew from forming. The ample openings where the awning attaches and the large front and rear decks all allow water to accumulate and run across the floor. I am having to take many items out each time I cover it that I would much rather leave in the boat from weekend to weekend.

Has anyone else come across this, do you have any ideas or solutions? I am currently experimenting with putting rubber strips across the front and rear decks to act as water dams, and am considering what to do on the sides. I am assuming the rails are raised from the deck to allow water to run out if you take a wave over the front. I have thought about filling those gaps to prevent the rain water from coming in the sides. I suppose the only sure-fire solution is a cover that comes all the way down the sides. Surely Bennington has thought about this,,

Any Help?

Thanks

This is my first Pontoon with a ski locker/ in tube storage. I have a 2020 22 SXP with SPS and Yamaha 200. My parents own a 2002 RL2285 with a Yamaha 175, no ski locker back then. I park the boat with the standard cover with all four poles installed. After a week of being covered, I have several gallons (depending on rainfall) of water that has to be pumped out. Everything in the compartment is soaked. All the loose items are in plastic bins, so there is standing water on top of those, and the inflatables, noodles, etc. are soaked and smelly. Additionally, anything under the console that's on the floor is soaked.

The boat is parked on a gravel area with a slight right to left lean, and I've been experimenting with having nose up, down, or level. It seems rainwater hits the side of the deck and rolls under the rails and across the floor where it hits the ski locker door and drains in. I've installed a mat to elevate the items under the console off the floor, but I am trying to think of ideas for the ski locker. Its obvious that the Bennington cover's main goal is just to shed most of the water and allow ventilation to keep mildew from forming. The ample openings where the awning attaches and the large front and rear decks all allow water to accumulate and run across the floor. I am having to take many items out each time I cover it that I would much rather leave in the boat from weekend to weekend.

Has anyone else come across this, do you have any ideas or solutions? I am currently experimenting with putting rubber strips across the front and rear decks to act as water dams, and am considering what to do on the sides. I am assuming the rails are raised from the deck to allow water to run out if you take a wave over the front. I have thought about filling those gaps to prevent the rain water from coming in the sides. I suppose the only sure-fire solution is a cover that comes all the way down the sides. Surely Bennington has thought about this,,

Any Help?

Thanks

Can you post a picture of your boat covered? I am curious how “covered“ it is based on your description. I’ve never had this volume of a water problem but my cover sounds like it is much more extensive than what you describe with yours.

F2D06923-C04D-44BE-8A00-1F0218EF4FFB.jpeg

DMack if the boat doesn’t sit level I don’t see how you will be able to stop water from flowing under the fence and into the center toon storage. I would look for a cover that goes below the deck and can be sealed against the deck sides. One thing I have found if you do figure out how to keep water out, is to keep the door open and any seat storage compartment that has wet items open so they can air out. Good luck.

I get a bunch of water in mine all the time too. Let me know if you come up with any good ideas. I used to leave the center toon open to let it air out and dry but I no longer do that. There is a pole right by the opening and I think a gust of wind lifted the cover&pole and it fell in the center opening. That led to water pooling big time and I think was part of the reason my cover ripped.

Last edited:
Back