Fuel Line in Split Corrugated Flexible Conduit

tmRoth

Reaction score
I took my boat to a non-Bennington shop for routine service last week, and the mechanic was critical of the way the Bennington dealer had rigged the outboard. You can see in the photos below how the fuel line and electrical cable are contained in a split corrugated conduit, with the fuel line passing through the split where the bulb is. He said that he's seen cases where the fuel line is damaged or even cut open over time because of the plastic conduit rubbing against the fuel line.

This looks like it would be easily solved by placing something (rubber, plastic, foam, etc.) around the fuel line where it passes through the split. Or I could cut an opening for the line to pass through so it isn't being pinched by the conduit. But he told me that he thinks Yamaha makes a fitting for this and I could probably find it online. Unfortunately, I didn't question him on this, so I don't know exactly what type of "fitting" he was talking about or what it would be called. I couldn't find anything when I searched outboard fuel line products.

So, I have three questions:
1) Do any of you know if there is a specific fitting/connector/etc. that would be used in this case?
2) Is the use of split flexible conduit standard practice for containing fuel lines and electrical cables between the boat and outboard as was done here?
And 3) I'm just curious whether anyone here has actually had fuel line damage from this type of setup?

20230705_135018.jpg

20230705_134810.jpg

I have to agree with the latest service shop you had your boat at. I have not seen split corrugated conduit used to contain boat fuel and electrical lines. I would also be worried about the split edges causes damage to the lines. Frankly, I’d be wanting to get the corrugated conduit removed vs. what you are asking. I would be curious and call the original dealership if I were you. Ask if they commonly rig them that way, or they’re thinking behind it. Also ask if they run into issues with the fuel lines getting damaged when extruding through the split like that.

Maybe others have seen this or have it and will comment…?

For reference, here is how my motor is rigged up. It is a 200 Mercury Verado Pro, so not identical, but gives a sense of the differences and non-use of any corrugated conduit.

Attachments

• IMG_2847.jpeg
    IMG_2847.jpeg
    153.9 KB · Views: 20
I have to agree with the latest service shop you had your boat at. I have not seen split corrugated conduit used to contain boat fuel and electrical lines. I would also be worried about the split edges causes damage to the lines. Frankly, I’d be wanting to get the corrugated conduit removed vs. what you are asking. I would be curious and call the original dealership if I were you. Ask if they commonly rig them that way, or they’re thinking behind it. Also ask if they run into issues with the fuel lines getting damaged when extruding through the split like that.

Maybe others have seen this or have it and will comment…?

For reference, here is how my motor is rigged up. It is a 200 Mercury Verado Pro, so not identical, but gives a sense of the differences and non-use of any corrugated conduit.
Thanks for the feedback. I don't really see the point of the conduit, it's not like the 20 cords under my desk that I need to keep tidy and out of the way. You're right, I can probably just remove it, but I'll call the dealership and ask them if there is some sort of advantage to having it like this.

In Florida everyone has a covering over the lines. I’m guessing to keep uv off of the lines. They do make a fitting that goes into the rigging tube. It sorta looks like a pvc plumbing fitting. BTW: I’ve seen fabric type covers too, that would be a simple solution.

In Florida everyone has a covering over the lines. I’m guessing to keep uv off of the lines. They do make a fitting that goes into the rigging tube. It sorta looks like a pvc plumbing fitting. BTW: I’ve seen fabric type covers too, that would be a simple solution.
Ahhh….here you go. Interesting. Good to learn.

"Rigging tube." That helped my search. Is the fitting in the photos below what you're referring to?

Based on various parts and assemblies sold by West Marine, Bass Pro, and Walmart, the corrugated tubing is a "rigging hose," the flange on the end is a "rigging flange with fuel hose port," and the part in the middle of the tube (and in the 1st photo below) is a "rigging hose union with fuel port." (This might be common knowledge, but I'm adding it in case someone who doesn't know this stumbles across this thread.)

Bass Pro (and others, I'm sure) also sell an "expandable braided sleeving" to "bundle wires and make them look neat and tidy" and "add an extra layer of protection to your boat's cables and hoses," which is probably the fabric cover you're referring to.

It looks like the dealer that rigged my boat took a shortcut and used only the rigging hose without bothering to install a $12.99 rigging hose union.

Rigging Flange Hose Union-1.jpg Rigging Flange Hose Union-2.jpg

That’s the part. Well done. I’ve been doing the Seaworld Orlando thing today with family. Very nice of them to provide free tickets to military. Of course it only cost me a zillion dollars for drinks and meals, but still a nice day.

Back