Garmin change out

JSM

Reaction score
I currently have the Garmin Echo 100 and want to upgrade to a Garmin color GPS fish finder. Will the current transducer and it's cable work with an upgraded Garmin unit? What about the current wiring harness, compatible? Anybody made an upgrade similar to this?

When I installed the 431s in our boat, it used the same transducer and wiring as the Echo 95 we had. You can look up which transducer goes with each unit.

In terms of the cable, the answer is "it depends". Some do, some don't, but mine (4 wire) had to be replaced. Below is my thread on the change out.
http://club.benningtonmarine.com/index.php?/topic/2420-r-series-garmin-echo-100-to-garmin-gpsmap-547xs-upgrade/?hl=547xs[/

Are you talking about the cable to the transducer or the power cable? My biggest concern is the transducer cable and getting it back to the port toon.

When I installed the 431s in our boat, it used the same transducer and wiring as the Echo 95 we had. You can look up which transducer goes with each unit.

Not having to change the cable from the transducer sounds like a much easier way to go. I will have to look that unit up. So you have color GPS, fish finder, depth, water temp etc. and your happy with unit?

In terms of the cable, the answer is "it depends". Some do, some don't, but mine (4 wire) had to be replaced. Below is my thread on the change out.

http://club.benningtonmarine.com/index.php?/topic/2420-r-series-garmin-echo-100-to-garmin-gpsmap-547xs-upgrade/?hl=547xs
Looked at your pics. That looks great. Nice job. I am concerned if I have to change the transducer cable and try and use the old one, somewhere it will hang up and then it becomes one of those lengthy frustrating projects!

Here's the finished product.

gallery_1200_147_71498.jpg

The transducer & cable for the DownVu models come as one sealed unit so you would need to replace your old cable if you buy any of the models with DownVu capability.

Last edited by a moderator:
That looks super! Did you have to enlarge the hole and if so, what did you use?
Yes and hacksaw blade. Look in my gallery for the rest of the pics.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 547 has a 5" and higher resolution screen, NMEA2000 interface, and is compatible with some of the CHIRP transducers. Sorry, I don't know all the other differences but you can compare them side by side on Garmin's site.

And what is down view?
From Garmin: The echo 551dv is a premier fishfinder with an all-in-one transducer that delivers both advanced HD-ID 77/200 kHz and Garmin DownVü scanned images simultaneously on a horizontally or vertically split screen. The images provide the clearest possible fish arch returns and nearly photographic bottom/structure details under the boat.

Pic of split screen usage with DV and 77kHz transducers in use. The DV shows great bottom detail the 77kHz shows the fish arches.

is the 50s as good as this one?

Back