Going with the acid clean on my toons

Dennis T.

Reaction score
did not do it last year, only power wash and some green pad. did not get all the MPH back though. 2nd owner, first one got 43.7 mph as a top speed on the garmin top speed page. he had sharkhide but not sure he re applied it. I did not and the marina was not doing acid wash last year. only got me back to 38.5. now i am down to 36 and the toons are nasty. boat stays on water all the time and our lake does have the build up on toons etc.... this year they just picked it up today since i am going out of town for a week. they do the acid wash now with the new owners like they used to. they said only down side is the milky toon look that some hate, but mine will be underwater for the most part since they only clean the build up which is water line and below. have read some interesting discussions on here and most say not to do it but i need those clean and dont have a trailer and green pad in the cove only gets so much. thoughts?

did not do it last year, only power wash and some green pad. did not get all the MPH back though. 2nd owner, first one got 43.7 mph as a top speed on the garmin top speed page. he had sharkhide but not sure he re applied it. I did not and the marina was not doing acid wash last year. only got me back to 38.5. now i am down to 36 and the toons are nasty. boat stays on water all the time and our lake does have the build up on toons etc.... this year they just picked it up today since i am going out of town for a week. they do the acid wash now with the new owners like they used to. they said only down side is the milky toon look that some hate, but mine will be underwater for the most part since they only clean the build up which is water line and below. have read some interesting discussions on here and most say not to do it but i need those clean and dont have a trailer and green pad in the cove only gets so much. thoughts?
Try the EAGLE ONE MAG Cleaner on it yourself first! See what you think and let us know!

I acid washed my toons and got some overspray on the aluminum trim which left white spots. How is best way to get these spots off?
Also after polishing toons what can I use to best maintain?

It's my understanding that the aluminum trim is anodized so that overspray can't be removed. My dealer is supposed to be replacing mine because of that, along with fencing, etc.. As such, the lesson I get from acid washing is that you need to take great care to only spray the toons!

Try the EAGLE ONE MAG Cleaner on it yourself first! See what you think and let us know!
i would but have no way to get to them, i dont have a trailer, it stays on the same lake year round in a slip. if i get the chance i will work on it for next year. even if i had a trailer not sure how i would get to the part of the toons that touch the bunks.

It's my understanding that the aluminum trim is anodized so that overspray can't be removed. My dealer is supposed to be replacing mine because of that, along with fencing, etc.. As such, the lesson I get from acid washing is that you need to take great care to only spray the toons!
thanks. ill check it out close when it gets back. i talked to the guy who will do it and he brushes it on and does very small areas at a time. well see. crossing fingers.

i would but have no way to get to them, i dont have a trailer, it stays on the same lake year round in a slip. if i get the chance i will work on it for next year. even if i had a trailer not sure how i would get to the part of the toons that touch the bunks.
My marina in VA had a lift where they lifted the entire boat by the deck so they had full access to all 3 toons. They also blue taped the areas that they didn't want the acid to touch. They did a super job! I'm sure your dealer will acid wash the entire toon for uniformity and not just the area under the water line. Ask if they have full access to the underside of your boat. Since you keep your boat in the water year around you will benefit greatly from Sharkhide. It makes it so much easier to keep clean...

Back