GPS Speedometer with Compass heading option

Maniac

Reaction score
Although I'm told I can't make certain "big" changes to my Benny order, one that I can still select is the GPS Speedometer with Compass heading option. I'm wondering, where do these gauges get their GPS speed and compass information? When "building" a Benny on the web site, I noticed that when that option (#904357) is selected, the options to select the Simrad Go5 (#901137) and the Yamaha Command link option (#902050) are not available, and that selection of any one of those 3 options eliminates the other two from being chosen.

I'm not an electronics expert, but that indicates to me that all three options get their signal from the same source. Is that source the NMEA 2000 connection on the outboard motor, in my case, Yamaha? If that were so, there would have to be a NMEA connection from the battery to supply the power for the NMEA 2000 cable to the dash. Does anyone here with that optional gauge package see that connection? Thanks in advance for any input!

Charlie

My gauges are Mercury Smartcraft (NMEA0183 only to GPS) and there was a Teleflex Veethree GPS receiver hanging under the helm. I later removed it when I added a Garmin 547XS with receiver, which provides NMEA2000 as well as a NMEA0183 output.

Like THIS

Thanks, Tom. You mention that you have a Garmin 547XS that provides a NMEA2000 output, did you have to run a 2000 cable to that connection?

I know that my new Yamaha 115 Vmax has the NMEA2000, but I don't know whether it backward compatible to handle NMEA0183 functions. The GPS Speedometer with Compass heading also includes a trim gauge, and the Yamaha has a trim sensor. What puzzles me is that, as easy as it is to install a Tee off a NMEA2000 system to connect another device, why wouldn't Bennington offer both the GPS gauge package with the Simrad Go5?

BTW, I'm a pipefitter by trade, electronics, not so much!

The Garmin has a NMEA0183 GPS direct output (blue wire) to the Mercury Smartcraft speedo (SC1000), so the factory Teleflex GPS receiver was no longer needed. I also added the NMEA2000 bus setup, using the MercMonitor as a gateway. This bus allows the Garmin to receive data from the engine and any other NMEA2000 devices.

Back