Helm Electrical Problem

effilcdar

Reaction score
So yesterday while crusing, we lost all power to the gauges, power trim control and the ability to restart the boat once it was turned off. The other accessories continued to work. Checked the fuses back by the battery and found one 20amp fuse blown. Replaced fuse, but no improvement. Obviously the start of a holiday weekend and to make matters worse family is in town for a week's visit with no boat to use. Any tips or advise would be greatly appreciated. 1999 Bennington 2575LX with a 50HP Mercury Big Foot 4 Stroke outboard.

Hi effilcdar, sorry to hear about your troubles, not a good way to start the holidays. If you have checked all the fuses and breakers, then your problem may be the ignition switch or the connections at the switch. If you can get to the back of the switch, check to see if all the wires are connected, and that there are no loose strands of wire touching other terminals. Otherwise, you'll need a test light or voltmeter to go much further. Good luck and i hope you have a good holiday!

Good News - all was not lost. Just took my electrical engineer brother-in-law and some time reading the Mercury service manual to find another 20amp fuse under the motor cover. About 2 hours after my original post we had her running and ready to get back out on the lake.

Good News - all was not lost. Just took my electrical engineer brother-in-law and some time reading the Mercury service manual to find another 20amp fuse under the motor cover. About 2 hours after my original post we had her running and ready to get back out on the lake.
I have the very same problem with my 75 HP Mercury. Could you advise where the fuse is located under the cover I’ve been on this project for 7 hrs trying to find the fuse. With no end in site James D

Back