How Far Apart Are Your Boat Lift I Beams & What Size Is Your Boat?

Tooncrazy

Reaction score
I'm getting some conflicting info from lift installers in my area, I'm converting from a hull lift to a two pontoon lift.

For those here that are using a boat lift for their pontoon boat with two steel I beams spanned by lumber beds/bunks:

Could you please give me some input on the distance between your I beams and the length and width of your lumber beds/bunks?

Also, what size is your boat, two or three pontoons? 

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm getting some conflicting info from lift installers in my area, I'm converting from a hull lift to a pontoon lift.

For those here that are using a boat lift for their pontoon boat with two steel I beams spanned by lumber beds/bunks:

Could you please give me some input on the distance between your I beams and the length and width of your lumber beds/bunks.

Also, what size is your boat, two or three pontoons. 

Thank you!
What conflicting information are you getting?  I am doing the same thing as you are and moving ahead with my plans.  I agree with the posters on here, if you have a Tri Toon and it is supporting your engine, you should support that middle toon.

What conflicting information are you getting?  I am doing the same thing as you are and moving ahead with my plans.  I agree with the posters on here, if you have a Tri Toon and it is supporting your engine, you should support that middle toon.
I'm getting a 2015 2275 GCW boat, Yamaha F115LB motor with two 22' 6" long  25" tube, not a tri-toon.

The conflicting info I'm getting is in regard to the minimum distance allowed between two I beams for a two toon boat with 22' 6" long toons and a deck length of 24"9.

My questions now are:

1. What the minimum distance allowed between the two I beams, is it 7', 8', 9' 10', 12' or what? And, who has determined this number?

2. Where should the boat be lifted with respect to the stern i.e.: how far back should the rear most I beam be?

I found this Bennington tech document, maybe it contains the answers to my questions but I don't understand it:  Tube support spacing 3.13.pdf   74.54KB

Thanks for any input.

Last edited by a moderator:
gallery_1200_147_2222868.jpg
If you look at the pic, the boards are 12' long. There is 1 1/2' of board past each beam, which makes the beams 9' apart.

gallery_1200_147_2222868.jpg
If you look at the pic, the boards are 12' long. There is 1 1/2' of board past each beam, which makes the beams 9' apart.
Very nice setup. How far back does the stern of your boat sit with respect to the rearward I beam?

The rear of the tubes are close to the end of the boards and it depends on how far I pull the boat in.

I have a 2375 2014 with the ESP package. My lift is a Hydrohorst 6000 lb twin tube. I had a 27ft Baja on this lift for years. Last year i converted the life to a three buck for accomodate my pontoon. I used Bennington drawings, like the one you attached in the blog to determent spacing for the bucks. I also spoke with a Bennington engineer about placement. He recommended setting the pontoon almost level, which I did. Keep in mind that most weight of your pontoon in the back 1/3 of the boat. Storage locker, fuel tank, batteries, and the motor. So with that knowledge i placed the pontoon on the lift with the end of the buck five inch from the end of the tube last weld. The water drains and the pontoon set perfectly.     

911 & Sanity, can you tell me what kind of material was used for you bunks/beds, wood, composite etc., if wood was it pressure treated with non corrosive chemicals, if not PT wood what kind of wood was it?

Thank you.

Pine boards with carpet on them.

911 & Sanity, can you tell me what kind of material was used for you bunks/beds, wood, composite etc., if wood was it pressure treated with non corrosive chemicals, if not PT wood what kind of wood was it?

Thank you.
You would use SYP - Southern Yellow Pine, as both Carl and Bamaman mentioned.

Back