I screwed up cleaning the toons...

fiddlebick

Reaction score
I used coil cleaner in a spray tank, and I liked the way the toons looked, but I also had the hairbrained idea that I would brush some acid on the rub rail aluminum and clean it up too...made it look nasty!  I guess the rub rail is anodized, but the large area I covered looks milky, splotchy white now, and I am just sick. I also sprayed the aluminum trim plate above the toons and not happy with the way it looks either, but I guess I can buy the polishing supplies and polish that along with the toons when I get the time....but its the rub rail I need advice on, if anybody had any ideas.

If it took the anodizing off then you will either have to get them done over or polish.

I will have to see if I can get a pic posted.  If I polish it, won't I have to protect it from oxidizing?   I haven't heard of anyone polishing the rub rail aluminum, but I kinda like the idea of it, if not the labor. Its an older boat, 2005 model rfs 2575

Last edited by a moderator:
My suggestion. Take one of the small rail pieces of. Get some of the alum cleaner at NAPA and try it on the exposed outside surface. Scrub it with scotch brite and rinse. See what you have.

Put some shark hide on it and see how it looks.

On my 2002 it cleaned up and shined up.

Back