Input on a few new boat issues

The purple wire needs 12v while the ign is on or connect it to an unused switch if you have one.

Dealer ignored me on everything today, but I found that there is a single purple wire that runs from the SeaStar pump to the helm that is not connected to anything. I figure this must be the ignition connection but I'm not sure what it's supposed to connect to. It is just a raw cut wire on the end with no connections. I do see a couple connectors coming out the back of the ignition with nothing on them though. 

I also took the boat out again, just me and my brother. We're both big boys, so it's like having 3-4 people on board. It was really windy with huge chop and we hit 35.6. I took a run on my own while he got the trailer and I hit 37.1 at about 5900 in rough water and 2/3 of a 50 gal tank of gas. I was able to trim the motor up close to half way without cavitation until I made turns. So I know I have to go to stainless, but does this sound like maybe I'm set right on prop size and pitch (15.25 x 15p)? Any other thoughts?
5900 with a light load is just about perfect (6000 max), so I think you're good there.

Purple wire connected and I now have power steering! Thanks Carl!

Last edited by a moderator:
Purple wire connected and I now have power steering! Thanks!
Can't believe they didn't catch that before selling it to you.......

What hole is your engine mounted in?  Maybe mounting it lower will help with cavitation issues, unless it's already in the lowest hole.  It's such a dance to get everything dialed in.

What hole is your engine mounted in?  Maybe mounting it lower will help with cavitation issues, unless it's already in the lowest hole.  It's such a dance to get everything dialed in.
It's in hole #1 so no going lower there. It will be interesting to see how it change once I load it up for a 5 day trip. 

Can't believe they didn't catch that before selling it to you.......
I'm honestly not surprised. They hadn't hooked up the cupholders either. It's probably the only Bennington with power steering they've ever sold. The weirdest part though is that the owner of the dealer who seems 1,000 times nicer than everyone else there took this boat out himself to test it. You'd think he would have noticed it was hard to steer...

So it sounds like I'll start looking into a stainless prop the same size. I see a lot of people with the Reliance SDS any others I should seriously consider in that size?

I would follow Derrick's lead on the prop as his 200 SHO setup ought to be pretty close, within 25 hp or so. I think he had the Saltwater Series.

This was mine shortly after I got it. I was pretty sure I had gotten it to 44 one time later and just never updated the specs,

BULLDOG's BOAT: 

• Boat Model --------- 2275RCW
  • Model Year --------- 2012
  • Tube Option -------- ESP w/ 56 Gallon Fuel Tank
  • Power Option ----- Yamaha 200HP SHO
  • Prop Specs ---------- Yamaha Saltwater Series II 15 x 15 3/4
  • Performance ------ 41.8 mph @ 5700rpm on GPS
Extra Notes: Full tank of fuel, 2 adults and 180lbs of dogs 3/4 up trim.

Your 5k altitude will also decrease your top speed a little, the engine makes a little less power at 5k'

Your 5k altitude will also decrease your top speed a little, the engine makes a little less power at 5k'
Very interesting. The first lake I took it on was 5k, but the lake I was out on yesterday where I hit 37.1 was at 6,200 feet. I might go test it and the power steering closer to 4k today and see how it goes. 

As for prop, I think that Saltwater Series II is the ticket. Any opinions on with or without SDS?

Supposedly, I have a the first Bennington "the dealer" sold and but really wanted the boat you bought. That being said, I'm extremely familiar with your new boat. Ours is a 24 s-series w/sps with a yamaha 150. Hopefully my experience with speed and altitude/load will help. At Deer creek we could do 30 with 4 adults. At flaming gorge with 6 adults we got right at 30 as well. However, at the Gorge with a full tank of gas (only 32g) and full capacity people/weight wise, we could only get up to about 22-24 depending on weight distribution. At Utah lake with myself and one person I was able to hit 33.

Btw, my trailer was exactly like yours, same model and totally jacked up bunk wise. Made loading the first few times a joke. Also, same issue with the throttle. I had to fix that as well. I refuse to deal with "the dealer" unless it is impossible to fix on my own...

Good info, Swooshmandm. What prop are you running? I was just about to go adjust my throttle screw but I couldn't figure out how to get the cover off the throttle to get to it. 

I'm currently running a mercury quicksilver aluminum qa2004x which is 16" 13p. My prop found some rocks last weekend at Utah lake so I'm thinking short term I'll replace it with a 12p or 11p version of the same prop. Fully loaded Im only getting between 4500-4800 rpms. With only myself and one person I get closer to 5500. I would like a ss prop but not until I know which one I really need. The cover you need to take off is facing down on the throttle base. Iirc its only a very small cover, basically covers 2 screws. The shifter model is a 704 I believe.

I have a QA2032X 14 x 13P that I bought for the last boat if you want to take it out and try it. I have no use for it anymore. It was a little too much for my 90 to turn but might be good for you. 

Thanks for the offer. I'm currently having our prop fixed but I'll let you know if I decide to take you up on your offer.

Very interesting. The first lake I took it on was 5k, but the lake I was out on yesterday where I hit 37.1 was at 6,200 feet. I might go test it and the power steering closer to 4k today and see how it goes. 

As for prop, I think that Saltwater Series II is the ticket. Any opinions on with or without SDS?
I put a 17 pitch reliance prop with the sds. I don't think it's worth the extra money. It still "clunks" pretty noticeably going into gear.

Please take any correspondence regarding sales transactions to private messaging. Greg, I moderated your comments to reflect board policy.

Thank you.

This was mine shortly after I got it. I was pretty sure I had gotten it to 44 one time later and just never updated the specs,

Well I ended up buying the Saltwater Series II 15-3/4 x 15P. I took it out on a lake at 4,500' in elevation tonight and I hit 39.5 mph at 6000 rpm. That was with probably 15-20 gallons of gas and 300+ pounds of human on board. One big difference I noticed was that I was suddenly able to trim the motor without it cavitating as much as with the aluminum prop the dealer put on. I think my top speed was found between 1/2 and 3/4 trim but it was a delicate dance between going fast and porpoising. The water was pretty smooth but still a fair amount of wake rolling around. So I guess now I wonder if I can handle more pitch since I was running at 6000 rpm. Anyone have any thoughts on that? I guess given the elevation, 39.5 with the ESP hull and the heavier v6 F200XA is probably not too bad? And with a heavier load, I imagine my RPMs would probably settle back down into the 5k zone. I'm looking forward to my next Lake Powell trip when I can take it out in the morning on glass at a bit lower elevation and hopefully crack that 40 mark. 

Your probably right there. You really load up the boat so I think your Rpms will be too low with a 17. I thought about this with mine but kept the 15.

Back