Installing buttons in Snap in carpet?

MrG

Reaction score
I got some replacement snap in carpet and The replacment carpet didn't come with buttons. Anyone have any links or advice to a DIY button installation kit? 

Thanks

Maybe take to a local upholstery shop and they can install buttons for a couple bucks. A good button gun is probably $100 plus. A cheap one will break.

You can buy the tool and snap kits at lowes or hd, all you supply is the hammer.  Yes, i know they are garbage snaps but they do come in handy and once you have the tools you can get better snaps.  Fixed my ladder strap twice now.

Fixed my ladder strap twice now.

My ladder strap lasted about a month. From the very beginning, it was hard to unsnap, and because I was not the only person doing it, it broke quite quickly. The good news is that the ladder stayed in the upright position all summer without it being snapped. I also requested that the dealer order me a handful of replacements under warranty. 

Throw some chapstick on snaps. Really helps them go on and off easy.

So is it that the Buttons themselves are cheep & don't last or is it the Tool or both? 

I only need to do about 20+ buttons. 

I see they have buttons and button installation tools are on Amazon. You think the Quality is all the same or should I source them from a professional upholstery shop??

My original from BM failed, my replacement one failed, to me, they are all junk from china.  The tools seemed decent, its the snaps that get the repeated use.  Yes, chapstick helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the good tool ..... expensive but good. You can try the hammer type, but in thick carpet, I think you'll end up with crappy crimps. Upholstery shops probably have better quality snaps. They are not all the same quality.
Pres-N-Snap-Fastener-Tool_1.jpg

Back