Ladder Drag

BangsBenni

Reaction score
I just bought a used 2006 2050RL with a 75hp Yamaha and trying to get a little more speed. With 6 people total (4 people in the boat and 2 on a tube) I am getting about 15 mph and with 2 people and not pulling a tube I am getting around 21 mph at 5,900 rpm's. Currently using a 13 pitch prop; tried a 15 pitch but lost 1,250 rpm' so looking for other options. I noticed there is a very large wake being created by the ladder because it sits so low in the water and yes it was in the up position :) . This would seem to me to be creating a lot of unnecessary drag. Has anyone mounted the ladder any differently to reduce the drag? Just looking for thoughts and suggestions.

BangsBenni,

Hate to tell you this but your getting about all the 75 HP has to give! My first pontoon was a 20 footer with a 70 HP 18 to 21 MPH was all it could do! Did see 25 MPH one time with one person on the boat 1/4 of fuel, going down river with a 20 mph tail wind! The reason you are seeing a big wake is probably your not getting the boat up on a full plane. Just my thoughts.

Riverbill

Thanks RiverBill, makes sense, the boat with a fuller gas tank and payload does sit low in the water so probably not getting enough speed to get to a full plane as you suggested. I read some forums about tweeking a 75hp to perform like a 90hp through a change to the CPU/ECN or whatever you want to call the motherboard of the engine. Will see what some more research holds on that subject. Thanks again for the reply!

Back