Lake Bum's Power Bimini Install

G

Geewest

Steve sent me some pic's to up load for him. Here they are.

steve1.jpg

steve2.jpg

steve3.jpg

steve4.jpg

steve5.jpg

steve6.jpg

Finished my top install. Works great...but... the front is 7.5 inches higher than the back. Do not like the way it looks. Will call manu. Monday and see what they say. I think I know what it will take to fix it but want to hear their suggestions. The top fabric is pretty light weight especially considering it is what pulls the back of the top up and they tell you to drive the powered arm to tighten the top. Update after I talk to pwr-arm. Steve

Talked to pwr-arm this a.m. After sending pics they thought the different mounting bolts I used might be too long and the rear arm was hitting it stopping travel early. Checked it out and that is not the problem and I feel like they should have known that the bolt comes up in the center of the tube and it wouldn't hit if it was a 1/2" too long. Calling Tuesday morning. Steve

Pwr-arm has been very helpful, having me check a multitude of measurements. Today Tom had me run the drive motor until it tripped the 6 amp breaker. I asked if that would bow the rear strut some and he said that it should. Well, I evened up 5" of the 7 1/2". That made it tolerable to look at. I do not like running it that tight but he said they had one with 1500 cycles of tripping the breaker, which is used as a "limit" for the top, and the fabric was still in good shape. I think I will change the angle on the static strut, which is what causes it to stop, and not have to drive it until the breaker trips. Steve

Well, after much measuring, I'm going to cut the angled strut. I figured I would start at the heel of the strut and cut it .0845 at the toe, give or take a few thousandths. This should allow the rear strut to come up 3.5 inches which will let the front come down 3.5". After maching it tommorrow I wil re-install it Saturday and report back. Steve

OK, last post until I get it to the lake. I had my machinist buddy cut .080 off the angled strut. Started at the heel as zero and cut to .080 at the toe. Now I can run the top up nice and snug, not trip the breaker and have it level. I did run it until it tripped just to see what I had and it was lower in the front. I installed a 15 amp fuse ahead of the auto-reset 6 amp breaker and it blew when I tried to trip the breaker. This is why I did not like running it so tight. I have it just where I want it now. This could be done by hand because access to a milling machine and a good machinist is hard to come by, at least for free. He is the one who built my gas cap and the seat release. I'll give an update after real-world usage. Thanks, Steve

Back