Leaking Livewell System

Dan's Benny

Reaction score
We finally had our maiden voyage on our 2011 2275 FSI and loved the boat and everything about it except for when we caught our first fish and added water to the front livewell. The livewell on this unit is a combination seat with a 22 gallon livewell below the seat. When the livewell was nearly full (overflow tube level), I turned the livewell pump off but noticed water seeping out between the console and the livewell unit. When a passing boat's waves reached us, the rocking made water pour out of the gap between the console and the livewell. I could hear the water sloshing around inside the livewell walls (space between the interior livewell and exterior surface) as it sounds to be hollow in this area. I'm not sure if the leak is from the hose connection to the livewell or one of the fasteners on the floor. My 1st guess is the hose connection.

I believe these livewell units are constructed as molded plastic and then cut out for installation of plumbing from the livewell pump and attachment of seat covers, backs, etc. I can't see anyway to get into where I suspect the leak is (hose connection to the tank valve) and am wondering if someone who is familar with the design (TB?) could explain the easiest way to get into the connection? Manufacture pictures of these units to view what I'm going to be looking for would be helpful.

It appears there is one fastener on the exterior of the unit from the outside surface of the pontoon and four fasteners into the floor. What I'm not able to determine is how do I get to the hose connection? I have the express toon along with the modified wave shield. Can the livewell unit be unbolted and lifted away from the console with sufficient free livewell pump hose to access the connection to see where the leak is from? Or am I going to be better off to cut an access hole in the front of the console for access to the rear area of the livewell to check on the hose connection?

The dealer is 4 hours away and any amount of work will result in two 8 hour trips and I'd prefer to do my own work to save travel time.

Suggestions and instructions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan

Sorry to hear about this issue...the easiest way to access the hose is to cut an access hole in the front of the console from the inside. You should then be able to tell if the fitting is leaking or if the water is coming from the fasteners in the floor. If it's the fasteners we can send the dealer a set of small rubber gaskets to install, which should take care of any leaking from the floor. (Or you can do it yourself if you are handy.)

livewell before installation.JPG

FRIENDLY NOTE TO CLUB MEMBERS: We at Bennington try to be transparent in our communications with you, our owners. Although we sometimes make mistakes, we ALWAYS stand behind our products. Thank you for your loyalty to Bennington. We Appreciate You.

Last edited:
Thanks TB,

I'll work on it and I am fairly handy at this type of stuff. A picture of the exterior, aft side of the livewell unit would be helpful as well so I can tell the location of hoses, elbow, etc. for where to cut through the console. I'm considering using a hole saw but not sure if there is sufficient space for the pilot drill to go through first before the hole saw completes the cut-out. I'd hate to drill into the plumbing assuming the exterior of the livewell is fully open for access(reason for the exterior aft picture). Or let me know about how much gap there is between the console and plumbing. If needed after the hole-saw, and if room exists, I'll use a jig saw to finish the access hole so I have room to work. I assume I should maintain round corners in the console to minimize/prevent high stress points in the console material that could crack or is there no worry about this? I notice some areas of the console have reinforced areas just above openings such as the exterior console opening.

Thanks

Dan

Thanks TB,

I'll work on it and I am fairly handy at this type of stuff. A picture of the exterior, aft side of the livewell unit would be helpful as well so I can tell the location of hoses, elbow, etc. for where to cut through the console. I'm considering using a hole saw but not sure if there is sufficient space for the pilot drill to go through first before the hole saw completes the cut-out. I'd hate to drill into the plumbing assuming the exterior of the livewell is fully open for access(reason for the exterior aft picture). Or let me know about how much gap there is between the console and plumbing. If needed after the hole-saw, and if room exists, I'll use a jig saw to finish the access hole so I have room to work. I assume I should maintain round corners in the console to minimize/prevent high stress points in the console material that could crack or is there no worry about this? I notice some areas of the console have reinforced areas just above openings such as the exterior console opening.

Thanks

Dan
Let's see what we can come up with...

Last edited:
Thanks TB,

Thanks

Hi Dan,

We got lucky yesterday and found one on the line...we don't build these every day. Although my line supervisor could not get a picture, he says there is plenty of space for you to use a hole saw and not hit any plumbing. There is space beneath the chaise lounge in front of the console (between the console and the livewell) Follow the directions in the previous post! Again, we apologize for the problem. We would send you to the dealer for the repair but we understand this is not convenient for you. TB

Last edited:
Sounds good TB, thanks for your help. I'll start on it this evening weather permitting and will get back to you if I run into any problems, questions or find out it's the bottom attachments. I don't see any rubber gaskets between the fastener and the tank bottom but maybe their size is less than the fastener. I'll post my findings when I get into the livewell wall.

Dan

Or you can send a PM to TB if you run into trouble and we can help you directly.

Just wanted to close up this issue of a leaking livewell. TB has done it again, fantastic customer service. A few email messages between us and a phone call from Bennington ended up providing replacement parts and options to stop the leak (oversized hole on the water supply line). I now have several size gaskets to seal up the tank connection.

Thanks TB, can't say enough about this web site and Bennington's support.

Dan

Back