Looking for long-weekend-travel-by-boat ideas

JeffS

Reaction score
I am trying to plan a late Sept trip-by-boat with my bride who's turning *cough*. Big birthday.

Weather up here tends to still be pretty nice, but this will obviously be weather dependent. Would love to put in somewhere that will give us a nice scenic 40-or-so mile boat ride to a bed and breakfast somewhere else. Maybe the Mississippi? IL river? I thought about doing Mackinaw, but am concerned that will already be frozen over by late Sept. :)

I'm in S.E. WI, so trailering to the muddy waters is pretty easy. Just don't know where to start or end. Thought some folks here might have first-hand experience with a trip like this?

Ideally, where we end up might even have boat docks?

Open to suggestions if anyone has any. I surfed all over and found absolutely nothing.

-Jeff

Come up north to the Lake Tomahawk/Minocqua chain and camp at Indian Mounds.  I've been over 60 miles on these two lakes in one day already, tons to do especially with downtown Minocqua accessible by boat.  If you don't want to camp, stay at The Pointe or The Beacons resort right on Lake Minocqua with a boat slip.  Crystal clear water, average depth of over 30 feet, (80+ on Lake Tomahawk).

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi JeffS! We haven't taken a real long trip yet but KNOW, no matter where you may launch, that the Mississippi River in fall is BEAUTIFUL! The huge passenger paddle boats take excursions up and down when the fall leaves are changing. September will be beautiful but really all the summer months are, just due to the landscape...bluffs and valleys, cliffs and outcroppings, eagles... breathtaking! For the best variety of activities/lodging either La Crosse or Prairie du Chien have the most to offer I think. Good luck with your search!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back