loose battery cable

big shooter

Reaction score
My wife and I went out last night and were cruising around 3mph and suddenly there was a huge amount of static through the speakers. Since we were on bluetooth streaming it was concerning. The fish finder also turned off. Motor never shut off. Anyway I shut the radio off. it happened again and the radio said something about voltage, but I couldn't read it all before it went away.

Anyway I spent time trying to find a loose wire behind the console. I finally discovered the positive battery cable was loose. I tightened it and ran it for 3plus hours without it happening again and no ill effects that I can tell. Radio and fish finder work perfectly.

First question is could that have caused the problem?
Second is there any chance of damage that I haven't noticed yet?

I think you answered your own question. Seems it DID cause the problem. I doubt it caused any damage.

I wouldn’t think that specific problem (loose positive cable) would cause any other ancillary problems. And it certianly sounds like that resolved the issue you were having.

Hopefully a couple of our members that are VERY mechanically and electronically knowledgeable can chime in soon.

I should point out that the problem stopped before I fixed the battery cable. The issue had occurred 3 times over the course of 2 days. Each time it happened for only a few seconds. I now attribute this to the loose cable moving when we shifted or hit a wave.

But it hasn't happened since I fixed the cable, but time will tell.

I am just not sure why the cable becoming loose would cause the loud static noise. I can understand why it would cut the radio and fish finder off.

Back