Low or No Sodium

Jpzeroday

Reaction score
Boat: 2575 QCW **No Saltwater Kit**

Quandary: Mostly frequent fresh water bodies in the west. Thought, though, that it might be cool to take the Q out in Newport Beach Harbor and Mission Bay, San Diego (salt water bodies). Should I?

Questions:

1. is salt water such a big negative that I should try to avoid it at all costs? Will running it occasionally in salt significantly shorten boat component lifetimes?

2. If it is no big deal, should I add the salt water components? Or can I run it in salt water and just clean and flush it well?

3. What does the salt water kit consist of?

Thanks,

JP

Just add sacrificial anodes and wash down thoroughly afterwards and you should be good to go.

And flush the motor like crazy to clear it all out. We ordered the saltwater package with sealed strakes just so we'd be all set if we ever hit some big water.

Andy ,you know that if you ever hit that big water ,you will be on # 3 .

Same way if we move ( and I am really getting pushed lately ) I too will be on #3 

Are the sacrificial anodes just for the motor?

No, they are for anything in contact with water near electrical energy. I've read tons of pages about them. If in doubt, use them, they are cheap. OUT OF WATER they do nothing. Their only use is when in the water (salt or yes even fresh water) as they prevent the effects of electrolysis. They do not prevent corrosion, they protect from electrolysis, which starts/continues the corrosion.

Last edited by a moderator:
The anodes are on four areas of our motor and also on the rear of each pontoon.The only other difference that I see is the strip that runs the length of the pontoons on the bottom is solid on salt water models and hollow on fresh water and of course the fittings and cleats are stainless.And like lakeliving and semper said wash with soap and lots of water and flush about 15 min. and you should have nothing to worry about.We only boat in salt water on Manatee River and the Gulf..........

Oh yeah, if you bottom paint the toons, DON'T USE COPPER BASED ANTI FOULING PAINT !!! Sounds stupid, but people have done it. Copper & Aluminum DON'T MIX !!!

And remember, you need them on the toons if you lift the motor out of the water. Again, the motor has electrical energy when it's running, so I would use on that. If boats not being stored in the saltwater, I would not be overly concerned unless your docks have power on them, then I would install some on the toon brackets. You can also hang some if you use wire that will conduct electricity .... strings no good. It must have metal to metal pathway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great information. Thanks, guys.

Don't forget to protect your trailer. On our last boat, we added all kinds of saltwater protection but our poor trailer rotted away. Granted, we washed it sometimes days after we came home but what can I say... At some point you have to have fun and suffer the consenquenses ( where is spell check!!)

Back