Main Switch Kicks Off

SteveAtHyco

Reaction score
When I haven't used my pontoon for a few days I turn on the main switch and then if I try to raise my power Bimini top all power is killed; i.e. the depth finder loses power, etc. If I wait 15-20 seconds and try again it might work or it good take several tries. In the end all works well for the remainder of the day. I am afraid it will not be long and it will not work at all. Is there a delay (~15 second) built into the main power if it overloads?

When I haven't used my pontoon for a few days I turn on the main switch and then if I try to raise my power Bimini top all power is killed; i.e. the depth finder loses power, etc. If I wait 15-20 seconds and try again it might work or it good take several tries. In the end all works well for the remainder of the day. I am afraid it will not be long and it will not work at all. Is there a delay (~15 second) built into the main power if it overloads?
So do you have a perko switch of any sort that allows you to shut off all power draw from your battery, or just a master switch at your helm?

The electric bimini does pull a decent amount of power. It will trip its own circuit breaker (small black button beneath it resets it after a +/-10 second delay) if you hold the Bimini switch continually. You have to hold for a little bit, and then release it for a couple seconds so as not to overload that breaker. It’s not a big deal once you get used to it.

However, if battery is low, it can trip it and struggle to draw enough juice to operate too.

I just have the master power at the helm, no perko... I know that the bimini top has an overload delay switch for when it reaches its max position and the current draw goes up... when that happens it doesn't cut off the depth finder, just the top. Also when I initially touch the bimini top switch the motors don't make a sound, they really didn't draw any current to speak of. The switch just cuts off immediately, everything behind the master switch is out. I'll check the battery out... maybe it is slightly low and/or there is some corrosion on the terminals.

I just have the master power at the helm, no perko... I know that the bimini top has an overload delay switch for when it reaches its max position and the current draw goes up... when that happens it doesn't cut off the depth finder, just the top. Also when I initially touch the bimini top switch the motors don't make a sound, they really didn't draw any current to speak of. The switch just cuts off immediately, everything behind the master switch is out. I'll check the battery out... maybe it is slightly low and/or there is some corrosion on the terminals.
Sorry to hear it, as something doesn’t sound right. Wishing you good luck on getting to the cause of the problem and that it is easily fixable.

Back