Man, it's nice to have the HVAC back

ericscher

Reaction score
My 7500w Honeywell generator wasn't big enough to start it.

My new 17,500w Generac sure is though.

Of course, it was a foregone conclusion that ordering a new one meant the power would be back on before it arrived.

My 7500w Honeywell generator wasn't big enough to start it.

My new 17,500w Generac sure is though.

Of course, it was a foregone conclusion that ordering a new one meant the power would be back on before it arrived.
How long were you w/out of power and was it because of the storms last Friday the 29th of June? The DC/Northern Va/MD area was hit pretty hard and there are still people who are out of electricity...................

Close to a week, and yes.

Hey Eric, if you don't mind my asking, what does something that size go for? What about the install? Been thinking about a big one (generator) but I make due with the small generator. B)

I think it was $2700 on Amazon, and I got free 2nd day shipping because I'm an Amazon Prime member.

Install isn't the same as with a Standby generator since you don't install a panel or hook it up to the gas line.

I's a 5735 Portable, although I think they are using the term portable loosely. Any piece of equipment that comes factory equipped with a lifting point is only marginally portable.

I had already put a 60amp breaker in my panel and connected it to a 30amp inlet box with about 10 feet of #8 wire. It cost me about another $100 bucks to buy a 50amp inlet and a new CS6364 twist-lock plug to put on the end of my existing home-made 30amp cord so that I could still use my 7.5kw genny if I wanted/needed to. The new generator has a 120/240 outlet that serves up 50amps at 240v. When my HVAC kicks on the breaker on the genny will let it go high for a few seconds of surge, and the 60amp breaker in the panel will catch it if the 50amp breaker on the generator doesn't.

It was also I think around $150 for a 25 Foot NEMA 14-50P to CA Style CS6364 Locking Power Cord.

EDIT: I wanted to make something clear.

I am basically back-feeding my electrical panel. It has a 200amp mains breaker and the 60amp generator inlet breaker I previously mentioned. Having both breakers "on" and "live" at the same time is muy mal. Very bad.

Having both "on" and the mains "dead" during a blackout is even worse, because you don't just run the risk of blowing up your house, you also run the risk of electrocuting a lineman who doesn't realize that you've energized the lines in your neighborhood. There are all sorts of correct ways to do this, ranging from mechanical lockouts that are built into the panel cover itself, all the way up to fully automatic transfer panels that replace your existing panel altogether.

In my case, the lockout is a piece of red duct tape that I move back and forth between the breaker; but I live alone, so I don't have to worry about someone doing something stupid. Other than me I mean.

What I need to do now, or rather... when thew weather cools off, is to pour a concrete pad and build an enclosure for the unit so I can park it outside in all weather and not worry about it getting stolen.

You might be wondering why I went the portable route when it sounds like such a pain...

Well first, it's about 1/2 - 1/3 the installed cost of a similarly sized standby generator. Second, I can take it with me if I move. Third, I also have a 7.5kw Honeywell that i can use in the winter when I don't need the A/C compressor and which burns much less fuel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds nice Eric. Great to come home 5 hours after the power goes off in 100 degree weather and the house cool and crispy. 18KW Kohler. Propane is sweet !! Gerry

Last edited by a moderator:
Back