Mecury Platinum Protection

G

Geewest

I got the Mecury Platinum Protection offer in the mail the other day. Our boat is almost a year old and wanted to ask around and get your thoughts on a The Protection Plan. It Picks up where the factory waranty runs out.

1 year $520

2 years $920

3 years $1270

4 years $1620

5 years $1980

What sort of things does this Protection Plan cover. This would be for the Motor and the Drive train only!

Interesting - don't think I've ever received anything from Mercury. Our boat is two years old though...

The plan is offerd from Mercury. And it's suposed to pick up where the Factory leaves off. Example Benningtons motor stops after a few years and that's where this one would pick up. Has anyone had any out of warranty and out of pocket extra expence on their outdrive/motor? Our 06 bennington has been awesome so it's not a great motivator to run out and spend a few thousand on

Grant, tough call. I usually don't go for extended warranties but I am going to purchase one for my wife's 2010 Cadillac DTS. It's $2000 for 3 years or 36,000 miles. Just had the lane departure module replaced under original warranty and the part was $600. Made my mind up for me. Steve

Like Lake Bum said, it's a tough decision to make. If such a program goes through a dealer, you can be there's a 100% markup on the price. It's the same with an ESP on an automobile--just another profit maker for a dealer.

I don't run my motor too hard, and don't put that many hours per year on the boat. I think I'll just meticulously maintain my new motor.

And we have a number of great Indys (independent marine mechanics) closeby.

But the price makes the decision for me.

Geewest

Do a search (do sorry don't know how to post link) but goldenrod started a threat about this last summer. His offer for platinum for was for 147 buck and mine was 250. I have a 150. o running a fancy Verano or 250hp beast? Those numbers sound hi.

The poll he created was 8 in favor of upgrading to 3 saying no

Todd

The plan is offerd from Mercury. And it's suposed to pick up where the Factory leaves off. Example Benningtons motor stops after a few years and that's where this one would pick up. Has anyone had any out of warranty and out of pocket extra expence on their outdrive/motor? Our 06 bennington has been awesome so it's not a great motivator to run out and spend a few thousand on
We bought our boat last spring with 648 hrs on the engine. There was no warranty so all work has been out of pocket. Both lift rams for the outdrive were leaking and needed replacement. Over $600 at dealer for 1st one. I am replacing the starboard side myself this spring. The rams are one of the few generic parts you can purchase. The raw water pump went out the second time out. Over $700 repair parts/labor. With the electronic controls and fuel injection, any repair is costly. From talking to my independent tech, mercury has closed out the independent tech from information on the newer motors. IF you are going to keep the boat for a long time, I would look at the extra warranty very seriously.

I got the same mailing, bought my merc last sprint and they were running a special that included extended protection from the factory for 4 years. If you have that you dont need the extra coverage.

So are there better deals to be had if you ask for this upfront on a new sale from the dealer or do you just wait for Merc to come to you later?

I bought my new Bennie this year, 70 Yamaha, came with 3 years, got an extra 4 for $300.

Back