Mercury Active Trim

TwoTone

Reaction score
Somewhere in Cabo... or Central Oregon...
I thought I'd share my experience with Active Trim...

I'm on my 4th Bennington and decided to add AT to this one...

After much research, I came to the conclusion that it would be the perfect feature to help me with teaching my boys how to handle a boat...

Taking the guesswork out of the Trim with my 8-year-old and allowing him to focus on the throttle, steering, wind & current, was my goal...

Figured I'd add the Trim schooling a little bit later down the road...

Fast forward a few months into this feature - I LOVE IT...

Forget the kiddos, I'm personally spoiled on it...

I'm getting better performance all the way around with it - from docking to pushing the limits of this 400 and everywhere in between...

Well worth the dollars IMHO...

Feel free to shout if anyone has any questions about it...

Mike

I had it on my 2020 and did not care for it . I got better performance trimming it myself. It seemed like it was just a bit off . No clue if it could have been adjusted to correct it ,I didn't own the boat long enough.

I've had 2 AT's and found it works very well for cruising, especially stop and go where you're planing off a lot and turning. I probably used it 90% of the time, found it very convenient. It quits adjusting after ~50mph, so if your boat is capable (mine was), it is all manual trim after that for best performance. It is very configurable for the particular boat, but very few dealers know how to actually do it. As a result, chances are pretty good that dealers don't even set the boat up for the correct profile at delivery (there are 2 sets of 5 profiles, 5 (coarse) at initial setup and the other 5 (fine) can be changed on the fly). I had to do both boats on my own as they were way off as delivered from the dealership.

Right! I love mine. I find the trim it uses was very different from mine, and often results in better MPH and/or GPM. And when combined with the Simrad Ski Tow feature - it allows more focus on the skier/Tuber and surroundings and beginners do a much better job of pulling a skier/tuber.

I originally was all excited to use ours, but then experienced some flaws in its design.
1. Our body of water is quite shallow, and you when the system decides to go trim 0 to start off that can’t work for us… to shallow. So the only place we can activate it is is the deeper ends of the Chain O Lakes.
2. When it is active it works well, but for different speed groups. I either have the change the minor profile to trim proper at 15mpg. Or adjust it to get best fuel economy for high speed. One setting does not work well for both.
Love the idea though. Now that we have had our Benny for one season we know exactly where to trim to get on plane fast at low speed or for high speed.

Back