Minnkota 54PD V2

shorewood bob

Reaction score
I would like to mount a Minnkota 54PD V2 on the transom of a 17SL Bennington on the port side. Is this possible? I need to be able to use the trolling motor to put the boat on the crank up trailer in shallow water. All other times, I will use this trolling motor on the bow.

I would like to mount a Minnkota 54PD V2 on the transom of a 17SL Bennington on the port side. Is this possible? I need to be able to use the trolling motor to put the boat on the crank up trailer in shallow water. All other times, I will use this trolling motor on the bow.
Moving the trolling motor around the deck sounds a little complicated. That is, compared to a "Hydraulic Jack Plate". The engine can then be raised to create as much or more thrust, compared to the trolling motor. The other major consideration, raising the outboard engine skag to prevent damage from the highway speed bumps and lake surprises. I know, the engine can be tilted to create ground clearance. However, the engine was not designed to be most happy when tilted. And, the torque lever arm created by tilting the engine induces stress on the transom (fasteners and etc.) Then you argue, when trailering, "Use a support rod from the engine to the trailer". OK, what happens when the rod is misplaced, jumps out or the trailer cross member flex's ?

That said, a jack plate requires Bennington's support. And, the rear-ward mounted trolling motor may not create manuvering control you hope for.

Agreed- the Powerdrive V2 is a bow mount motor. They're designed to pull boats through water fr maximum tracking; trying to push will result in oversteering and frustration, especially on a pontoon boat. It's difficult enough on a boat with a vee bottom and some sort of skegs or keel.

Back