Mississippi near Clinton, IA

Corn

Reaction score
Looking for advice on taking boat to Mississippi river near Clinton, Ia.

Grew up on a farm in Clinton county. Went to school in Camanche. Haven't been on river since the 60's.

Currently live in Nebraska and go back to Iowa once in a while. Thinking about taking boat this summer or fall. 22 SL with Yamaha 75.

Probably go for a week and use the marina at Camanche. If 10 year old grandson comes with I'm thinking it might be fun to go through the lock north of Clinton to see how that works. 

Any thoughts or advice from the group would be great. Thanks in advance.

Corn - 
Gary Cornish

I grew up in Cedar Rapids and spent many summer vacations on the Mississippi River, North of there around Harpers Ferry.  The only time I have been on the river in Clinton was the gambling boat.

Hi Corn!

Not familiar with the Clinton area, we boat on the Mississippi River, Pool 9 based in Lansing, IA, about as far north of Dubuque as you are south. Not positive but I'd think this is a universal issue anywhere on the river and that's: the important thing to keep aware of is the river levels. If it's particularly dry and the water is low there's a heck of a lot more sand bars, wing dams, etc. that surface (OR more importantly, just barely under the surface) that can destroy a prop if you're not careful! On the flip side if the water levels are extra high, or in flood stages, then landings/launches/marinas may be unusable or even closed. 

Here's a link that we use that may come in handy when deciding:

http://www.riverwatch.noaa.gov/u_mississippi.shtml

My best advice is if you're unfamiliar with the various channels/sloughs, etc, probably best to stay on the main channel (stay between the markers) as that's a sure thing with nothing to hit. If you have a depth finder though and a topographic map then exploring is really COOL! The bluffs are beautiful and plenty of bald eagles and wildlife to be seen. Also, up by us there's obvious sand bars up and down the main channel that anyone can anchor up to, to swim, camp/camp fire, etc. It's fun

(We haven't gone through a lock and dam yet but hope to soon. Don't think there's much to it just follow the directions I suppose!)

Have fun & Welcome to the forum! Great place for info : )

Thanks for the replies.

I looked at the link that shows the river depths. That will be useful I'm sure. I will have to study it more this summer. There are some nice videos on Youtube that people have posted and I've learned from them also. 

I think I know of a person with a pontoon who has experience on the river. Someone with personal experience will be great to have a long. 

Can't wait to get the boat out of storage. Probably be in April

Back