NEED advise For GPS mounting from factory

bonhomme

Reaction score
Hello All,

I am brand new to the club, but you have all been very helpful in helping me choose and configure my brand New Bennington!  I bought mine from the Knoxville boat show this weekend and it gets ordered tomorrow.  I really wanted the GPS so I ordered it as part of the package, however, after some looking, I can tell that the location is less than ideal!  I really like the look of factory installed equipment and hate to use a RAM mount on top of the helm.  Does anyone have an S class with the GPS?? If so, is it functional in the factory mounted location?  

Thank You!

Welcome to the club Brandon. Sounds like a sweet boat. As for the GPS, I have an older "r" series and I installed our Garmin in place of the fishfinder that came with the boat. I don't like them stuck up in the air on a ram mount and I think you'll be happy with the stock location. I have pics of the install in my gallery and it's not affected by sun glare.

I ordered the GPS with my S model, and the factory puts it on the right side of the helm slightly down.  I got the 5" model to help with the readability.  Although I haven't been out on the water with it yet, I've seen exactly how it is set up and I think the location will be just fine.  I figure I'll be mainly toggling between the speed setting and the maps to make sure I'm in an area with enough water depth (the Potomac is rather shallow in most parts).    

Thanks guys! I think I'll go with the factory mount although it's definitely better to have a GPS In line of sight. I'm used to flying down the lake at 70 MPH in my Skeeter (sometimes in the twilight) following a trail in which line of sight is a must! I live on a fairly deep lake but the shallow rock islands can reach up and get you if you aren't careful. Does anybody have an idea of what type of speed I can get with the SPS and 200 Yamaha?

We have the same boat/motor but I haven't had it in the water yet. I'm hoping for around 45. Maybe that is wishful thinking. We'll see.

Make sure what you are getting includes GPS. Many units in smaller form factor are depth and fish only. No chartplotter.

Im so impressed with the 740s id consider buying a second as a way to be sure I have one for next boat.

I put a Humminbird 788c on our 24SLX with no holes drilled, other than in the plate on the back of the left tube. I used a rail mount for a Kuuma grill, and cut it down to fit a smaller Ram Mount. I attached it to the rail just above the throttle control, and it's totally out of the way, and in great sight. If you want to see pics, let me know and I will post them.

Would love to see pics. Might be looking for a new place to mount our on our new boat.

Our current one is mounted with ram mount on the front right corner of our helm. There are pics in my gallery

That looks nice, might have to do my new one this way, easier to reach, what do you do with it when installing the mooring cover, just fold it down or do you remove it. 

Dealer put mine on the left side of the helm on a Ram mount. I don't remove it when the boat is in my building, and it does not interfere with the mooring cover. I do remove it when we leave it in a slip overnight. It is easy to remove and reinstall. 

I never leave the unit on the boat. It goes in the house, as do the units on my bass boat. I loosen the ram mount and fold it right out of the way, and have no interference with the cover at all. I was very careful in doing this. There were 2 goals, No holes in our brand new boat, and nothing touching the cover that didn't touch from the factory.

Thanks 

I never leave the unit on the boat. It goes in the house, as do the units on my bass boat. I loosen the ram mount and fold it right out of the way, and have no interference with the cover at all. I was very careful in doing this. There were 2 goals, No holes in our brand new boat, and nothing touching the cover that didn't touch from the factory.
Dealer put mine on the left side of the helm on a Ram mount. I don't remove it when the boat is in my building, and it does not interfere with the mooring cover. I do remove it when we leave it in a slip overnight. It is easy to remove and reinstall. 
Thanks Guys for the pics and info.   :)

Do you know the part number of the Ram mount you have?  Or do you have a picture?  I'm going to install a Lowrance fishfinder/gps that I got for Christmas, and only get one chance to do it right !

No I'm sorry I don't have a number for you. I originally bought a ram mount Ram-B 101-G2 from the mount guys. But the shop manager at the dealer said it was not sturdy enough. So I had them get the one they thought should be used. It was included in the purchase price so I did not get the number. It is the perfect mount and I have been very happy with it.

Dave I just called my dealer and they could not find the number in my file. Sorry. If there is any other way I can help let me know.

David

I found it on the Ram mount site.  They have a fish finder "wizard"  Input the fish finder type and it finds the right mount.  The Ram mount looks perfect.  Thanks for trying to help............... ;)    Too bad it 27 degrees out today.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Back