New Bennington owner, a few questions

ariutta

Reaction score
Hey all, new to this site. Looks very informative and there are some ridiculouly nice toons out there!

I am feeling a little boater's envy after looking at all of these beautiful boats. My wife and I decided to take the pontoon plunge with our young kids. We are both waterskiiers, but the Mastercraft ski boat (PS 190-closed bow) wasnt cutting it for the evening cruises and what not. We decided to start low and slow so went with an older, smaller boat. We got a 2003 207L with a 50hp Yamaha.

A few questions:

I am already in the process of trying to find a new steering wheel, as the current one is all-white plastic and looks really cheap compared to the rest of the boat. Is there a specific size wheel and stem that I need to look for? does the stem have splines all the way around or those little notches x 2 or 3?

Anyone know who makes the seat posts for a 2003? the captains chair seems really wobbly on the top of the post and I think might need a new seat bracket.

Overall, we are happy with the find, as it seems to be in great shape. We cant wait to hit the water, but here in northern MN, it may be a while!

Thanks,

Adam

Most local boat dealerships carry boat steering wheels in their parts departments. If you're satisfied with how your boat steers, order another style of the same diameter. If your boat steers a little hard, go up a size in diameter.

Dealerships also have large catalogs they can order virtually any parts from, if you don't like what they have in stock. The same goes for seat bases.

Or there are many places on the internet where these items can be ordered. For pontoons, you have pontoonstuff.com and GreatLakesSkipper.com that are good suppliers. You've also got the Big O (know who I mean?) over in Fayetteville, NC and West Marine with large catalogs online.

Look on the base, it's probably marked. I know mine has some wobble and there is a plastic/nylon insert that goes in the seat post receiver that goes over the base post. It has worn from spinning and is a little wobbly. I just have to track down the right one for my model. Try that first.

As for steering wheel, I think they typically are a 3/4" tapered shaft. They normally have a key @ the 12 o'clock spot. make sure you key is located straight up in motor straight ahead position, or it might drive you nuts like me if steering wheel is not centered when going straight !!! :wacko:

I had one of the 6 spoke stainless on the G/G, so it was not so bad.

The Benni wheel is dead on, so I'm ok now !! :D

Smitty

Last edited by a moderator:
Back