New boat advice needed

Duckgumbeaux

Reaction score
We are considering getting a Bennington Q or R series boat as a replacement for our Mastercraft and Regency pontoon boat. We do not ski anymore and the MC gets used twice each summer when our kids come to the lake. It is a 2004 model with less than 300 hours. The pontoon boat is two years old. I need advice so that my kids will not be disappointed in skiing behind a tri-toon with at least Merc Virado 225 HP outboard. I guess I need some comments regarding what prop to get for a quick hole shot so that getting up on a slalom will be quick and similar to the MC. Any other advice for options would also help such as flooring, etc

Thanks

Where ya located?

We are considering getting a Bennington Q or R series boat as a replacement for our Mastercraft and Regency pontoon boat. We do not ski anymore and the MC gets used twice each summer when our kids come to the lake. It is a 2004 model with less than 300 hours. The pontoon boat is two years old. I need advice so that my kids will not be disappointed in skiing behind a tri-toon with at least Merc Virado 225 HP outboard. I guess I need some comments regarding what prop to get for a quick hole shot so that getting up on a slalom will be quick and similar to the MC. Any other advice for options would also help such as flooring, etc

Thanks
Welcome! There are many here to help out with advice.

We were in EXACTLY the same situation, moved the ski boat twice a year (in and out). We went with the 2275RCW and Verado 250 to replace the Malibu and a lower hp Harris, and couldn't be happier. It tows just fine with an 18p prop, though a 17p might be a bit better for deep slalom starts. Fortunately the Enertia comes in 1 pitch increments so you can tune for what your usage is.

As far as options the sky's the limit but there are some essentials once you step up to the ESP such as center storage, 55g fuel, raised helm, power steering, and a few others. Start with the boat builder and see what things you think you really want.

Good luck!

Welcome!  

Are you just looking at a single slalom skier or how crazy do you get?  How serious are they about their skiing?  I'm far from a great skier, but the wake behind my parent's Mastercraft is much different than the wake behind my Bennington.  I'm not aware of Perfect Pass or a similar system on a pontoon, but it might be out there.

If they just like to slalom a few times a year like me, you'll be happy making the switch!

Welcome!  

Are you just looking at a single slalom skier or how crazy do you get?  How serious are they about their skiing?  I'm far from a great skier, but the wake behind my parent's Mastercraft is much different than the wake behind my Bennington.  I'm not aware of Perfect Pass or a similar system on a pontoon, but it might be out there.

If they just like to slalom a few times a year like me, you'll be happy making the switch!
I have a similar system to Perfect Pass on the Verado called "Smart Tow". Of course I thought I had to have it but we never use it.

Thanks
You are experiencing what many of us "converts" have already experienced.  Very similar senario here except I bought a new 2004 24' Sea Ray upon retirement and after 4 years and only 65 hrs on the meter decided to sell it.  Now, the grand kids love boating and water sports so decided to purchase a pontoon equipped for water sports.  I haven't been disappointed at all with the 2014 Bennington 2375 R with all the options but if I had it to do over I'd have the 250 hp instead of the 225 hp outboard.  That would be the best advice I can give you especially if you will have more than 2/3 additional passengers while doing water sports and want a quick hole shot.  

I am in northeast Louisiana on a beautiful oxbow lake.   Thanks for the advice.  I am sure that I will make the switch after the summer when they get in the skiing for the year.  I am sure it will be a 2375 R with rear facing lounge chairs and some other options.  Not sure about the prop but I appreciate all the input.

I'm at 25 ft with verado and love the way it handles. Power steering is a must and makes whipping knee boarders, wake boards and tubes around easily.

Tom has had great success with higher pitched emerita props. I'm still experimenting. Regardless, my boat is heavy and with a 15p prop, still hit 40's with 8 people with no problems launching out of the hole.

Get out to a dealer and test drive one.

Back