New boat owner!!!!

Ilmk255

Reaction score
We are about to spend our second summer on the lake and second summer using our Bennington Pontoon boat.

We just got out boat back from storage and after cleaning it up we realized we don't know where to put the buoys !!! We have two of them. Not sure if they both go on the same side or one on each. Also how far should they hang down?

We have a 25ft 2009 boat and its docked under a canopy. Not sure if you need more info than that. Thanks much!

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the party. If you're only tied to one side of the dock then 2 fenders on one side should be fine. As far as adjustment, you'll have to eyeball it.

25' ..... I'd have at least three per dock side. My dealer recommends 3 on anything over 22'. Me personally, I'd have at least 3, maybe 4 but I'm over cautious. I have 3 on my 22RLi, but going to add a 4th cause I get some wake action at my dock.

I hang them so they are about 6-9 inches from the water and ride the bumper rail. You basically want them protecting the toon as much as possible. Make sure they are long enough !!!

Don't skimp on bumpers or rope !!

Last edited by a moderator:
I use 3 of the 6-1/2 x 23 on my 22 along with the " Tidy Ups " .( I also have another set 3 for the port side when my neighbor arrives )

That was another good suggestion ,I got from the forum .

Thank You ,PDXhosedragger
Yup, neighbors ..... Now you know why I decided on the end dock !!!! LOL !!!!!

The end slips at the marina are/were open . I didn't take one of those because I would get the wake first .

In just the two days out so far ,I have seen the clowns .

I use these 3 of these on the side(s) of my 25' when tied up to other boats...I have 6 on my boat at all times (the large 8.5" diameter ones too):

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Dockmate-Tuff-Shield-Fender-8-1/2-x-27&i=76752&r=view&from=grid

And I use these handy things to attach to the fenders and the boat....these are VERY handy because they're adjustable:

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Kwik-Adjust-Fender-Lok-4-pack&i=38401&aID=602B2&merchID=4006

Been using this set up for many years and it works great.

Back