New Owner Alert! How do I get my pontoons shiny again? Best way to clean the carpet?

Jolson127

Reaction score
Just bought our first pontoon: 2015 Bennington 22 SSX!

The pontoons are pretty dull and oxidized and the carpet needs a good cleaning.

Any tried and true methods you can share?

Thanks in advance!

Welcome and congratulations on your new baby! There’s quite a bit of information on polishing toons so use the search function at the top. That said, from what I understand, it’s a hell of a job and one that you’ll likely have to do again, but it does look great when it’s all said and done.

Personally, I came from a fiberglass boat that I constantly waxed and it shone like the sun, so it took a paradigm shift to accept the fact that my toons will never look like the day I bought the boat. Difficult at first, but now I’m at peace.

Never had carpet, but I think a power washer might just do the trick. Enjoy…

Polishing is a lot of elbow work. A residential carpet cleaner does a good job , I used a portable Bissel when I had carpet.

Welcome to the forum Jolson! Do you want to get your pontoons just clean or shiny? If it's just clean you can power wash them and/or acid wash them! Like Michiman said there is a lot of information out there about getting your pontoons mirror like shiny that you can do yourself or have them professionally done! Whether you just power wash, acid wash or shine them up you'll have to apply a protectant like Sharkhide to make it last and easier to keep clean. As far as your carpet is concerned if it's really dirty you might want to rent a carpet cleaner to suck all that dirt out! If it's not that bad I have used the Awesome cleaner straight up and just sprayed it on a section at a time and cleaned it that way! A suggestion for you.... My old boat had carpet. I used to spray it with Starbrite waterproofing spray. Then after it dried I would spray it again. The water would bead up and run off not getting wet. It was so much easier to keep it clean!!!

A powerwasher does not work well on marine carpet. The washer has pressure but very little volume of water. The carpet will just soak the water up. We took a carpet cleaner and generator to the slip in KY. The carpet was 12 years old and had never been cleaned. The night before cleaning it rained. The carpet was soaked. It was great. We sprayed some of the carpet cleaner on the carpet and fired up the carpet cleaner. It sucked up dirt and dirty water. We emptied the tank 5 times. We had clean carpet and there was an embossed pattern in the carpet that we did not know was there. The rain is about the only way to get enough water on the carpet, or let a hose run for a long time before using the cleaner.
Live with the toons. Keep the algae off and enjoy boating.

yep, i agree on all the advice here...

i gave up on the mirror polished toons after poking around a lot last year. my boat never leaves the water in season, so even with sharkhide, I'd be lucky to keep that mirror finish for a whole season. and it's a whole ton of work....

Back