New Prop

RiverBill

Reaction score
Well we got the Bennington back from the dealer, new alternator installed, 150 Mercury 4 stroke alternator recall. So I decided to try a new prop! I had this new Mercury 4 blade aluminum 15X16 prop. Well it didn't work out well! Way too much prop spin (cavitation) could not accelerate hard or trim the drive up (cavitation), loss of top-end 4 mph and very hard to shift it out of gear (forward & reverse). So back to my Mercury SS Enertia 15X15 and all is good! The 4 blade is a backup prop now!

RiverBill

Mercury specifically uses Enertia props on all their engines mounted on pontoons going out for boat tests. And, it's great that they're available in 1" pitch increments.

As far as I can tell, an Enertia 14 pitch or 15 pitch is on most 150 hp tri hull pontoon boats with strakes. That'll put most hulls in the 38-42 mph range.

Yup. We run the 15 pitch and love it. Twin elips and 150 pro xs

Todd

Anyone using the standard prop on your 70hp Yamaha

its white and seems so soft.

What is you're opinion of it.

My dealer says stay with it was repaired for a few dings

I say a SSteel one would be better

Opinions please !

Ron :unsure:

Anyone using the standard prop on your 70hp Yamaha

its white and seems so soft.

What is you're opinion of it.

My dealer says stay with it was repaired for a few dings

I say a SSteel one would be better

Opinions please !

Ron :unsure:
I do not think you would realize any benefit from a SS prop on a 70 other than making your wallet lighter!

I do not think you would realize any benefit from a SS prop on a 70 other than making your wallet lighter!
I agree, it doesn't have the horsepower to cause flex in the prop,that is the biggest reasons high hp motors can't use aluminum, at least not successfully. Stick with the aluminum.

Derrick

Back