No power Yamaha 150

Naplesagent

Reaction score
Had a great bill of health from the Yamaha mechanic. pressure was great. Great everything checked out he gave me my annual tuneup. The same Bennington tri-Toon sat in saltwater for eight months however did have barnacles removed took the boat out today and it would not get up on plane. Any suggestions? Could there be barnacles inside the tri Toons? Could there be something wrapped around the propeller? Both super clean mechanic. I don’t know what is up.

We need more information, boat size, prop size , RPMs at wot ,speed at wot .

Did the mechinik check the fuel/water separator for water or contaminated fuel? I've seen water there allow the motor to run at reduced power, but restrict flow not allowing full power. Old or stratified (water contaminated) fuel could be a problem.

Is this a “new to you” boat that you just realized is working this way?

OR

Is this a boat/motor that had been operating fine since 2017 and then just started running this way?

If new to you, then:
Prop standard. Got up to 4500.

There really isn’t any such thing as a standard prop. Variance across the board. And with dealers rigging them up, different dealers will use a multitude of different props at times on the same motors and boats.

Do you know specific brand, diameter and pitch size of your prop? Without knowing more to my questions above, this is where I would be looking at this point.

Prop is particularly important as you are not in the rpm range at WOT, which should be 5000-6000 at WOT, not 4500. You should be closer to 6k with it on a light load solo.

Also, how fast were you going at 4500rpms when at WOT?

Finally, for the moment, what hole is the motor mounted in? where is the cavitation plate in the water when at WOT?

I don’t see too low of a motor mount being the sole issue, but perhaps it could be playing off something else, so checking might also be worthwhile.

If the motor checked out by a certified Yamaha mechanic, my prop would be my first go to item.

We could help much more if we had the details everyone is asking for .

Are the toons now pitted ? Was the motor flushed before it sat?

We could help much more if we had the details everyone is asking for .
I really don’t know much about what you are asking as far as prop and pitch. This may help some photos.

Attachments

• IMG_0789.jpeg
    IMG_0789.jpeg
    101.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0794.jpeg
    IMG_0794.jpeg
    116 KB · Views: 14
A man came over with power washer took a majority of barnacles off. Hard to find people who really know what to do for boats and barnacles that’s why I came here.

Attachments

• IMG_0790.jpeg
    IMG_0790.jpeg
    148.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0786.jpeg
    IMG_0786.jpeg
    116.8 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0791.jpeg
    IMG_0791.jpeg
    125.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0792.jpeg
    IMG_0792.jpeg
    146.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0793.jpeg
    IMG_0793.jpeg
    112.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0788.jpeg
    IMG_0788.jpeg
    113.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0787.jpeg
    IMG_0787.jpeg
    112.3 KB · Views: 20
My prop has the size listed on it . Can you check yours ?

Every one here wants to help . It that pic before or after power washing ?

Is that a dent in pic #5 ?

The barnacles certainly could be playing a major major role.

So to follow up on your reply to me. Prior to the boat sitting, did the boat/motor operate as expected (5000-6000 rpms as WOT - ideally upper end of that range on a light load)? And that this issue began following sitting in the salt water for 8 months?

Well that would eliminate a prop issue since it ran fine in the past. Have you had a chance to get out on it after getting the barnacles removed? Did that make a difference?

If not, I’m stumped too.

It looks like your mounted in the wrong hole, I have the L21 f150 and I'm mounted lower, top hole

Back