Off Topic: Best way to dispose of dead fish carcass?

newmanpcjr

Reaction score
Out of the gate, I realize this is may be a very random question... but here it goes.

We are "new" to living lake-front and lately we have been getting several dead fish washing up on our small beach area (5 in total over three days). I'd welcome suggestions or best practices on disposing of the carcasses. The kids bagged a few and tossed them in the outdoor trash tote and the resulting odor and fly population is umm... overwhelming.

(note: the lake is healthy and it seems most of the fish are either hit by props or the victim of anglers that can't properly select or tie their lures/lines... primarily catfish, yellow perch and small mouth bass).

Thanks in advance!

Love this question! In Michigan we’d have this problem and wow the smell was terrible. I had a cvs about a tenth of a mile from the house so I would bag it up and put it in their garbage can in front of their place. Sorry not sorry cvs!!

Chop the fish up and throw it back in the lake as fish food. It should sink, not float like a "whole" dead fish. You may even start attracting catfish to your area for the kids to catch.

One time my wife’s aunt, uncle and cousins were visiting from California and just as they were pulling in I said I’d be right back as I had to run a dead fish up to cvs. The look on their faces was priceless!

Fertilizer in your garden

We always just dug a hole and bury on the beach. Neighbors dogs move them for us or find the buried ones every once in a while…. :)

Back