One project leads to another

DVW

Reaction score
For the last three years one project tied to another has been reported on these pages. In 2021 that involved modifying a new Bennington to go faster with modest power. The following year in 2022 I rebuilt an old boat with parts torn off the new boat. This year in 2023 I was back working on the Bennington doing a couple of things that were not on the original project plan but should have been. The original plan was to get rid of the drag down the middle of the boat and add a second motor. It wasn’t until I spent time with the boat did I recognize a need for power steering and more fuel capacity. This year the heavy handed steering was fixed with a assist pump mounted in the console. That made the boat more fun to drive. The original project plan involved replacing the fuel tank below deck with a tank in the aft storage compartment. That was fine until I added a second motor. This year I added a second tank next to the first. Direct fill caps were added to the top of both tanks. The complicated side fill receptacle was removed and the hole patched. The batteries that had been in the aft storage compartment where relocated all the way up front to the boat bow. In the end each motor has its own separate designated battery, fuel tank and filter mounted on the same side as the motor. I am done for now but with more thought…

Attachments

• IMG_9712.jpeg
    IMG_9712.jpeg
    106.9 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_9751.jpeg
    IMG_9751.jpeg
    158.3 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_9778.jpeg
    IMG_9778.jpeg
    138.7 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_9779.jpeg
    IMG_9779.jpeg
    140.5 KB · Views: 41
For the last three years one project tied to another has been reported on these pages. In 2021 that involved modifying a new Bennington to go faster with modest power. The following year in 2022 I rebuilt an old boat with parts torn off the new boat. This year in 2023 I was back working on the Bennington doing a couple of things that were not on the original project plan but should have been. The original plan was to get rid of the drag down the middle of the boat and add a second motor. It wasn’t until I spent time with the boat did I recognize a need for power steering and more fuel capacity. This year the heavy handed steering was fixed with a assist pump mounted in the console. That made the boat more fun to drive. The original project plan involved replacing the fuel tank below deck with a tank in the aft storage compartment. That was fine until I added a second motor. This year I added a second tank next to the first. Direct fill caps were added to the top of both tanks. The complicated side fill receptacle was removed and the hole patched. The batteries that had been in the aft storage compartment where relocated all the way up front to the boat bow. In the end each motor has its own separate designated battery, fuel tank and filter mounted on the same side as the motor. I am done for now but with more thought…
200.gif

I love the redundancy with separate motors, fuel systems and batteries. How does the boat handle when you run it with only one motor? I'm sure it's not ideal, but could it get you home?

I love the redundancy with separate motors, fuel systems and batteries. How does the boat handle when you run it with only one motor? I'm sure it's not ideal, but could it get you home?
Funny you should ask about getting home on one motor because I ran into that situation last night. While going home I was slowing down to go thru the the narrows when a warning buzzer sounded. Shutting down the port engine stopped the buzzer but with traffic coming from behind I chose to maintain forward progress with the other engine. After getting thru the narrows the warning buzzer did not go back on when the motor was restarted. The cause is still unknown.

Funny you should ask about getting home on one motor because I ran into that situation last night. While going home I was slowing down to go thru the the narrows when a warning buzzer sounded. Shutting down the port engine stopped the buzzer but with traffic coming from behind I chose to maintain forward progress with the other engine. After getting thru the narrows the warning buzzer did not go back on when the motor was restarted. The cause is still unknown.

Boats like two of everything…. Radios, motors, gas tanks, batteries, anchors, $$$…. You are just aligning with the will of the universe, lol

Boats like two of everything…. Radios, motors, gas tanks, batteries, anchors, $$$…. You are just aligning with the will of the universe, lol
Most importantly - coolers!!!

Back