Options for towing a float/tube without a ski tower

rbrouillette18

Reaction score
Last year I purchased an SX21 with a 115hp Yamaha. I want pull my family on a 4-5 person float (WOW manufacturer?). I don't have a ski tower or whatever it is called. Can I hook the ropes for the float to the eyelets on the pontoons? To the u-bolts in the transom? Or to the rear cleats? If I do any of these will I damage them or the boat? If I should get a ski tower what type to you recommend. If you can't tell I'm new to this. Thanks for your advise.

Have you looked at TuboSwing? They can be costly.
1590775549084.png

Thanks. Yes, I have looked at them and they are expensive. But many not so much more than a Bennington OEM option, if there is one.
Do you think I'm crazy to just use the ubolts/eyelets in the transom? I've read good and bad about using the bolts, cleats or eyelets.

I know the pontoon eyelets and the cleats are not designed for the stresses of tubing. I would not attach there for those reasons. I would assume you would have issues with your rope and cowl cover/motor interference if you attached to the transom u-bolts

The Turbo Swing is the easiest solution for adding a spot to attach to, and has the bonus of keeping the rear of the boat clear of obstructions. It also supports higher tow weight stress Than any other option. Are you NOT handy? No worries here. All you have to do here is bolt it onto the existing transome/motor support bolt spots.

A traditional tow bar is much more economical. There are a lot of after market tow bar options. They cover a range of both cost and durability. A tow boar also gives you a spot to attach other things as well. Are you handy? If so, then adding one wouldn’t be too big of a deal.

Either way, I would do one or the other. I would NOT do any towing from the pontoon eyelets, floor cleats, or transom u-bolts.

I prefer ski-tow bar.
That said they are not designed for the stress of tubes. I've seen 2 fail from crazy driving/slack in rope etc.
I've never seen one fail under normal (responsible) use and I don't think you can wreck one with a 115 anyway.

Back