Our First Trip

The Gibson's Rare, at the front of the picture, 18 year, very smooth!! Hehe, that's my dogs namesake!

I will give it try ,if I ever see it .

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to pontoons, they do sit high !!!! You can install nylon slide boards on bunks and it will slide off like its greased. Rollers may dent toons if you hit hard bumps n it bounces around. The nylon boards are fairly economical and you could install yourself. Welcome to the family ......... Oh yeah, PICS or it ain't true !!!
OK, I posted pictures in the gallery but I don't know how to move them here :(

I bought a trailer that was longer than I needed, I have a 22 foot toon on a 25-28 foot rated trailer so I have a trailer with a very long hitch for my needs but it nets the same results as what you are after with the hitch extender that dogscaddy posted. Works great for shallow dockings while keeping the tow vehicle on dry land.

Here is a picture to show my 22 foot pontoon on a trailer designed for 25-28 foot pontoons, you can picture the advantage of the longer hitch in your situation, plus I have the smaller tires to aid in shallow water as well. You may want to check with your dealer to see if they can order a longer hitch for your model. I have a Shorelandr' trailer and the trailer itself is the same the only difference is the hitch is longer, it can easily be swapped, maybe something to look into on your brand. Another thing I like about the long hitch is that it pulls a bit nicer as it takes some of the tongue weight off and moves it back a bit further.

Pontoon Day August2012 002.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a picture to show my 22 foot pontoon on a trailer designed for 25-28 foot pontoons, you can picture the advantage of the longer hitch in your situation, plus I have the smaller tires to aid in shallow water as well. You may want to check with your dealer to see if they can order a longer hitch for your model. I have a Shorelandr' trailer and the trailer itself is the same the only difference is the hitch is longer, it can easily be swapped, maybe something to look into on your brand. Another thing I like about the long hitch is that it pulls a bit nicer as it takes some of the tongue weight off and moves it back a bit further.
Thanks for the reply and the picture. When we went to the boat show, we ordered the biggest boat we could fit in our driveway, including the trailer. Our old trailer had a removable tongue but on this one it was either that or the stairs on the trailer, both was not an option. Also, the trailer and the motorhome needed to be less than 75' to be legal, we are creeping up on that too. We are thinking about that removable extension one of the others mentioned.

Thanks for the reply and the picture. When we went to the boat show, we ordered the biggest boat we could fit in our driveway, including the trailer. Our old trailer had a removable tongue but on this one it was either that or the stairs on the trailer, both was not an option. Also, the trailer and the motorhome needed to be less than 75' to be legal, we are creeping up on that too. We are thinking about that removable extension one of the others mentioned.
Well the extended hitch will not help the over length issue if you are that close "You must have a 45 foot land Yacht" and to me would be a pain to constantly remove and install plus One would have to see what tongue weight capacity it could handle, but smaller tires will still help a bit. There are many trailer manufacturers who build fold away hitches too.

O' the old throw the anchor and forget to attach the rope trick. Yes Im a member of this Elite club. I had installed one of thoes Anchor Buddy's (the elastic stretchy rope's) to the anchor but forgot to attach the anchor rope to the anchor buddy. Whoop's we. Pulled up to camp out with some friends with no less then 20 people waiting and watching us on the houseboat throw our anchor away to Davey Jones Locker. Talk about feeling like a Idiot!! Lots of laughs never got the anchor back. That was 10 years ago but I will never forget that one and the time I left the straps on the boat and tryed launching LOL

I almost had a bad start to this season. I had the boat winterized at the dealership last fall. I was opening up the lake house and went to work on the boat. One of the lift rams on the outdrive is leaking and I bought a replacement. I am loosening up the hydraulic lines and notice something hanging down. I look and see the plug for the engine compartment hanging from a strap. Since I did not remove it, I would have never thought to check before I would have launched the boat. From a walk around you can not see it. I don't want to find out personally but I am curious as to where the boat would settle with the bilge full.

Back