Outside Air Temperature

NC Jayhawk

Reaction score
I've got a 2021 R23 with the Garmin 942 GPS. The Garmin has outside air temperature as an option on the menu, but we get no outside air reading when selected. I talked with Garmin and they said there is no temperature probe on the 942. They referred me to a place in Florida that sells a NMEA 2000 bridge, which can be connected to the Garmin and you also buy a temperature probe. About $350 all in to find out how hot it is. I think there may be another box I have to buy also. Seems like when you drop $100K for a boat, it should come with a thermometer. The guy in Florida said "don't you have a cell phone with the temperature." Yes, but I have a Garmin GPS that can direct me all the way to China, but it can't tell me the temperature outside. I'm torn between spending $350 + or buying a $2 mercury thermometer and tape it to the windshield. Anybody got a solution for this issue?

I guess I don’t get your point in making the connection between the Garmin not providing air temp out of the box without the add ons and the boat costing so much. Two different items. The boat doesn’t advertise providing air temp, it advertises floating. :D FYI, joking a bit here asI appreciate the point. Everything with boating costs a bundle…

That point aside, will you get any other interesting data or information with your Garmin by doing all of that wiring with NMEA 2000 bridge that you don’t have access to now? That might make the high price tag more palatable. Perhaps a slew of motor related data, performance data, error code access, ability to log various things, etc….? Not sure, but just putting that out there.

I have a Simrad and Mercury Vessel view set up with my Mercury motor, so I get a lot of extra data and features that is nice. But also because of that, I am not familiar with the Garmin's, or your motor set up.

In the end though, if there is not other data or features you will get to help justify that price to make it worthwhile to you, I’d certainly use my phone for the air temp long before I’d stick some ugly $2 mercury thermometer on the side of an awesome R23. ;) :cool:

In all the years I’ve been on this forum, you are the first to complain about a Bennington not providing a “chartplotter/fish finder” that provides ambient air temperature ... :oops::rolleyes:

More importantly does your Garmin provide the water temp?!?

I don't know if my simrad has this feature either, I will have to look, I'm pretty sure it tells me water temperature though. I would like to have weather radar on it, is that possible.

I lick my finger and stick it in the air. Provides me instant air temp, wind speed /direction and barometric pressure.

pro-tip, weather reports taste good too if testing after eating Cheetos.

Simrad can display air temperature, but you will need the sensor and a network T-connector. Lowrance has an air temp sensor and network T-connector for about $100. I don't know if you can have water and air temperature displayed at the same time.

Back